house empty through winter

dunshrb

Hi,

It's looking likely that my house will be empty over the winter. If I don't manage to get someone into the house, does anyone have tips on what I should be doing to make sure I don't arrive back to a moldy, damp house next year. Apart from keeping the heating on regularly each day I'm not sure what else I should be doing.

any advice appreciated.

PM the address to me and I'll break in for you ;) :D

To answer you question, make sure all of your vents are clear and do whatever else you can to ensure a flow of air through the house.

Is there a neighbour you can trust to pop in every now and then to open windows for you?

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Regarding draining the water, will that affect the radiators? The house is heated through oil fired burner and radiators.

turn off water to stop pipes freezing.if your leaving heating on leave water on .

drain water to stop pipes freezing.if your putting heating on leave water on

Definetly turn off water and drain pipes, I know of at least 2 houses that had burst pipes last winter and destroyed the house.

I would advise you to rent it out even if it's for a very low rent.Even to students if you must :)

What's the defintion of the house being vacant?. If there is anything in there worth stealing it could make sense to put some lights in on timers.

Also is your post visible through the front door, if a pile of post builds up it becomes very obvious that the house is unoccupied.

Would you be better looking for a reliable house sitter ,who could also do some painting,cleaning that house might need doing during the time the house is vacant.just a thought, they pay the esb,etc but have free accommodation

Would you be better looking for a reliable house sitter ,who could also do some painting,cleaning that house might need doing during the time the house is vacant.just a thought, they pay the esb,etc but have free accommodation
I know rents are down average of 20% in the daft report but this is a bit of a unexpected change. Free rent or paying someone to live there to maintain it, is this what landlords can expect in the future.

We are lucky in that we have good neighbours, who will look after post etc.

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better off leaving heat on, and water in the pipes, or drain the pipes and leave the house cold.

The "big bowls of salt" is an interesting idea, does that work?

Turn off the stop cock and drain water from outside taps. The pipes inside the house won't frezze. Pipes frezzing indoors is very rare.

If the stop cock is off you can use your heating on a timer as normal.

I know rents are down average of 20% in the daft report but this is a bit of a unexpected change. Free rent or paying someone to live there to maintain it, is this what landlords can expect in the future.
Look if I knew my house was going to be vacant for say 3 months and I knew a person whether it be friend,family member,someone that I knew quite well that was handy with DIY and was not happy living at home with the parents at 27 yrs and was willing to barter his time for free accommodation,then I would have to seriously think about it,that's just me.

The key point here is the house is going to be empty anyway so why not take a negative and turn it into a positive .And you don't have the worry of having an empty house,squatters could move in as they have many a time before.

We were working away for 5 years during the 90's and just turned the thermostat down to 12 degrees to keep the house above freezing. We also left keys with our next door neighbour so he could take all the post into the sitting room. Made great reading when we got home at about yearly intervals!

Back