question re. entitlements

• Thread starter galwaygirl20
  • Start date
G

galwaygirl20

Hi,
I am 20 years old, single and expecting my first child in January. My parents say I can stay living at home until Christmas, after that I have to move out and find somewhere else to live. They are also refusing to support me financially. I am currently unemployed and unlikely to be employed considering I am pregnant and can only work until January.
I am just a little confused about applying for rent allowance. Do I need to already be living and paying rent for a certain length of time before I can apply for rent allowance? I have read the rules and info on the citizens info website but am still confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi galwaygirl,
Regarding applying for Rent Supplement, there was a change in the rules announced in the April budget which was implemented from last week (27 July).

Anyone applying for Rent Supplement for the first time must

- have been renting for 6 months (183 days) in the previous 12 months or
- have been in homeless accommodation for 6 months or
- have been a combination of the 2 for 6 months - e.g. homeless for 3 months then
renting for 3 months or
- have had a full housing assessment carried out by the local authority within the past 12 months, have been assessed as having a housing need and placed on the housing list.

If none of the above criteria are met, then the CWO will refer any new applicant for Rent Supplement to the Local Authority where a full housing need assessment must be carried out. Rent Supplement will only be payable if and when the Local Authority deems the person eligible for housing.

The [broken link removed]website has a number of emergency contacts in Galway and the country generally.

Brendan

Dear Galway Girl

Brendan has already given you the link to the TREOIR site and the new information pack for unmarried parents is now available there. The TREOIR helpline is 1890 252 084 if you want to discuss the specifics of your own situation. If you want to get in touch with a lone parent group in your area, try OPEN on (01) 8148860.

Best of luck.

Back