Windows scratched by Plasterer

Noilheart

I had been looking for ages and I finally found a tradesman to do the wet pebble-dashing at the back of my house. He arrived this morning and I wnt off to work happily. When I returned this evening I found my windows all dust and with many scratches on them. I rang him and he said he put covers on them but I don't believe him. I am distraught at the thoughts of what it will be like when he actually does the dashing.I am so disappointed in him, I assumed there would no scratches on my windows.
Would really appreciate if anyone could let me know is this level of damage to windows normal when wet-dashing is done? and should I try to get some kind of covering for the windows before I let him proceed?.

Last edited:
I am still wondering if I should let this guy finish my windows. He was recommended by someone who was recommended here on askaboutmoney and I feel let down by the site.

He was recommended by someone who was recommended here on askaboutmoney and I feel let down by the site.

How many references did he provide? How many of these did you follow up and visit to see examples of his previous work?

I am still wondering if I should let this guy finish my windows. He was recommended by someone who was recommended here on askaboutmoney and I feel let down by the site.

I think you are being unfair blaming the site for your situation. I have used this site for years and have got very helpful advise. I think you are suppose to use this but also rely on your own acumen.

Why should you feel let down by this site? This is a discussion board to get guidance, would you just take a recommendation from someone you had never met before on the street as that is in essence what you are doing when using boards such as this.
You need to use a modicum of common sense and use the advice as a guideline for your own research into a tradesmans suitability

Either you live with the scratches or the glass will need replacing.

Quite obviously they got sand and cement dust on the windows and dry wiped them , rather than washing them, thus - scratches!! Windows should have been covered with plastic, similar to what you would do if you were painting.

Responsibility lies with your contractor to provide protection from his work. Dare I ask, is he insured??

Your experience has nothing to do with this site or any other forum. At the end of the day, unfortunately, the decision was yours to give him the work.

What do you mean "finish" your windows?

Finish scratching them, or repair them?

Repair will mean replacement glazing.

"Filling" scratches in glass with windscreen repair stuff isn't on.

Cars last for 10-20 years on average, houses for hudreds.

Would really appreciate if anyone could let me know is this level of damage to windows normal when wet-dashing is done?

No its not normal, theres no excuse.

and should I try to get some kind of covering for the windows before I let him proceed?.

Covering should have been provided by the plasterer, also protection for the ground and paths around the house. He is the 'professional' and knows how dirty this wet-dashing is in application. As for proceeding, get a copy of his insurances and ask him how he is going to replace the glass in the windows BEFORE he goes any further. I would have him proceeding out the door and away.

Thanks for replying guys. Well he came back today and they put up plastic covers and left them on the windows while they took off the rest of the dash . I could hear the stones hitting the windows at times but the protective covers were on this time so no further damage. Looking back on events now I should have stayed home and ensured they put on plastic covers on the first day.
I have been reflecting on this and just to let you know where I am at now as regards the scratches. I don’t know how damaged they really are and won’t until they are cleaned off – but they are single glazed windows and the house is quite draughty in winter and I have come to conclusion that they really should be replaced with double glazed windows. While I love the mahogany wood in them, they are a pain to maintain (or to look at them unmaintained as I have done for some years now). Perhaps this is the push I need in that direction.

Leo – I did not get any references from him, I simply took him at face value and on recommendation from other guy. I did not ask to see samples of his work. Yes I cut corners in my desperation to have the job done.
Hans – I am not blaming the site, I feel – (feel – that’s not blame) let down. That’s was the way I felt because I was upset about this business. I too have used this site for some time and have always found it extremely useful. I admit I was a bit soft and thought just to ask would the windows be covered would be enough.
Webbs – I don’t really know why I felt let down by the site – I guess it was an emotional reaction to the injury. And your comments are taken on board re common sense etc.
Sconhome– They didn’t wipe the windows at all yet – but I could see they were scratched and I wiped two of the windows in patches myself to check. I can’t tell him to get lost as I will be left with the mess and nobody to finish the wall. I have to proceed with it. I find it difficult to assert myself with workmen as I hate being thought of as an awkward strident person, but I sure feel awkward and strident inside. I am going to try to release my inner (word which the site won't allow but which begins with "b") as I think I would get more respect in situations like this.
Ong - Ha! Ha! I meant to say finish the wall (dashing) not windows, sorry. I will examine the windows when the job on the wall is finished and see how they are then. You have set me wondering if there is actually a product out there for de-scratching glass. If I go down the replacement route it will be with new double glazed windows, as I said above this might be the push I need.

Thanks again guys for your comments and time.

While I love the mahogany wood in them, they are a pain to maintain (or to look at them unmaintained as I have done for some years now). Perhaps this is the push I need in that direction.

If you love your windows you should get them refinished properly.

It doesn't take much to finish wood properly.

I'm sure you could get double glazing into them but you'd need to have a professional look at them first before you could say for sure, I've not seen a set of single glazeed wooden windows that couldn't be double glazed.

hI S.L.F.

I did ask one supplier if my windows could be double glazed and he said no. I will try another on though now.

hI S.L.F.

I did ask one supplier if my windows could be double glazed and he said no. I will try another on though now.

Window suppliers are just in the business of selling windows nothing else.

All they are is salesmen.

The only way I could know for sure is if I got to see them for myself but I'm pretty sure if they are solid windows they can be changed from single to double glaze.

S.L.F. - Can you recommend anyone to give me a quote for putting the doubled glazing in the existing frames ?

Hi Bridget1,

My father is just after swapping his single glass for double glazing in his teak wooden frames.

I don't know where in the country you are but he used Bantry Glass & Glazing who are based in Bantry Co. Cork.

He is very happy with them and I don't have anything to do with this company.

Hi Bridget1,

My father is just after swapping his single glass for double glazing in his teak wooden frames.

I don't know where in the country you are but he used Bantry Glass & Glazing who are based in Bantry Co. Cork.

He is very happy with them and I don't have anything to do with this company.

Bridget1 is based in Dublin I believe.

Back