Confirmation money

Thrifty

Hi,

Its not a great financial debate but i'm sure others are in a similar position. Godchild is making her confrimation soon and i'm just looking for advice on the going rate that is expected from Godparents. I know it sounds like i'm concentrating on the wrong things etc.... shouldn't be about money etc.... but i still don't want to cause awkwardness by giving too much or be mean either, so any comments would be welcomed.

Why not give a gift instead, like a watch ?

At least that way they will have something to remember the event by, than cash that will be blown on the latest playstation game / crazy frog ringtones

The IIF are lobbying for the introduction of child's pension policy. I would give a promisory note undertaking to contribute 100€ to such a product whenever it gets introduced.

For my confirmation ( not so long ago...:) ), my god father gave me a silver charm bracelet, the idea being that he would add to it at other significant times in my life, such as starting secondary school, inter cert ( oops showing my age now), leaving cert, 21 etc. I thought it was a nice idea.

Thanks for the ideas. I used to try to buy gifts but kindof gave up when friends kept suggesting it was easier to just give money - let them get what they want themselves. by the way never heard of this Child pension policy. - what is it?

Thrifty said:
I used to try to buy gifts but kindof gave up when friends kept suggesting it was easier to just give money - let them get what they want themselves.

As my mother used to say, if your friends put their hand in the fire.....? Have you tried talking to your god-daughter to see what she would like? Have you thought about giving her some time along with or instead of money/gift, e.g. day out, film/dinner in a nice restaurant?

Thrifty said:
by the way never heard of this Child pension policy. - what is it?

It doesn't exist yet. It's just talk. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Money always talks.

I'm a legal guardian to a 13 year old and a 10 year old and they really appreciate money. Kids are kids.

Marion

I take her out occasionally to the cinema and fast food afterwards. Think she'd feel a bit short changed if this was her gift. i've tried trying to suss out what she'd like but it seems shes at the age where its clothes she wants and i wouldn't have a clue when it comes to this. Personally love the idea of the charm bracelet and ideally i'd like to give something other than money but the vibes i've got so far is thats what she'd prefer. Would kindof like to give her waht she wants.

Thrifty said:
but it seems shes at the age where its clothes she wants and i wouldn't have a clue when it comes to this.
So take her clothes shopping for a day with a nice adult lunch built in. She's probably never gone clothes shopping with anyone except her parents so it will be a great novelty.

I've just remembered that I'm pretty sure that's what I did when my (now 30-something) goddaughter made her confirmation.

Back