Cooblelock - How can I make it blend in with old ?

Swoon0

Hi, I have recently extended some cobblelock and it stick out like a sore thumb as its so new looking - anyone got ideas on how to make it look a little older to blend in ? I have heard watered down natural yoghurt is good as it creates mildew - not entirely sure I want mildew all over the place though !!

Swoon0 said:
Hi, I have recently extended some cobblelock and it stick out like a sore thumb as its so new looking - anyone got ideas on how to make it look a little older to blend in ? I have heard watered down natural yoghurt is good as it creates mildew - not entirely sure I want mildew all over the place though !!

Powerwash the older stone it will come up like new.
Recently did this with my garden walls and driveway and they are looking as good as new.

Good Luck ;)

Swoon0 said:
Thanks,

Did it not wash all the sand out ?

Where is the sand? there shouldn't really be any gaps if properly laid the only place there should be sand is underneath as a base which water should not be able to wash away.

DOBBER22 said:
Where is the sand? there shouldn't really be any gaps if properly laid the only place there should be sand is underneath as a base which water should not be able to wash away.

There is sand in each joint between the stones. They brush it in there when laying it.

legend99 said:
There is sand in each joint between the stones. They brush it in there when laying it.

Indeed but water should be poured into the joins then sand and cement should also be mixed and brushed into the joins and through the miricle of capillary action the joins become sealed.

"Indeed but water should be poured into the joins then sand and cement should also be mixed and brushed into the joins and through the miricle of capillary action the joins become sealed"

Hope so because I've spent the past week power washing ours and duly washing the sand out.

Have never heard of any way of matching new with old other than over time rain and weather might do the job for you.

don't want to put a dampner on all your hard work, but I also power washed our cobblelock for the first time in five years last year, since then it has been inundated with weeds between each cobble. Was speaking to a gardener who said it was a bad idea to power wash it as washing out all the sand from the joins leads to weeds, weeds and more weeds.

I'm sorry I did it, its costing me a fortune in weedkiller.

Re: Cobblelock - How can I make it blend in with old ?

Hi Phoenix,

Have you considered resanding it and putting a sealer on it?

Can anyone confirm how hard it is to resand and recommend a suitable sealer?

Thanks,

Sueellen.

Swoon0 said:

Take up the old stuff

Mix the old and new when relaying

Lot of hard work

Considered the resanding alright but the gardener said once you had unsettled the base and the weeds got hold it was very hard to stop them. What does the sealer do?

"What does the sealer do?"

It seals it while its still clean and probably protects it. Suppose something like polybond on walls.

sealers are not suitable for modern cobblelocks especially the rustic type . you should also NOT put cement near it unless you want to destroy it. if powerwashing lifts some of the sand away from between the joints, put down some weedkiller first to destroy any weeds washed down deep between the bricks and then resand with the proper silica sand which swells when wet and makes the whole thing tight

Back