Difficulty in getting building workers to quote

Emiso

My DH recently bought a cottage on an acre in Meath which we are renovating/extending.

In the last few months we have made contact with about 16 people in the building trade who arranged to call round to give us quotes for architectural ,electrical,plumbing, building and insulation work.

The only ones who turned up were the Architects ( 2 out of the 16).
Its reassuring to know that the recession is obviously not affecting tradesmen in my area.

Last edited:
Kinda exposes the myth of the super-efficient private sector and the effectiveness of the free market, doesn't it?

Kinda exposes the myth of the super-efficient private sector and the effectiveness of the free market, doesn't it?

Yup and I'm sure that once we all work for the state this is not going to be a problem.

But in seriously, I had a similar problem, I was searching for a company that does my gardening for a small garden so that I don't need to do it on weekends and I had similar problems to find someone because "it's too small" or "coming out costs more than we would make".

helped me too.

In the last few months we have made contact with about 16 people in the building trade who arranged to call round to give us quotes for architectural ,electrical,plumbing, building and insulation work.

Maybe they have your card marked ? I know someone else who needed three tradesmen to get quotes from ( a plumber, electrician + a carpenter ). He got a quote from one person in each of these three fields....but once the word got around the local community, he got eight other tradespeople touting for work / trying to get their foot in the door / wanting to give free quotations.

Yes. Not usual, but in some professions / lines of business, its not unknown.

I have never seen anyone suggest that the private sector is super-efficient.
It should also be noted that the free market is a notional construct; it exists only because of rules that limit activity within the market and is constrained by society’s laws.
Competition does generally create a more competitive market and this leads to more efficient economic activity. To deny this is to ignore logic.

Back