Grinds and Tax compliance

dustie

Hi. I'm posting for a family member who needs some tax advice. She retired a few years ago from teaching. At the end of last yr she was approached by some students for some grinds and has started giving a few grinds a week at €35 an hour (standard grind rate in our area for honours maths). Anyways she is worried about being tax compliant and wants to sort it out.
Does anyone have an idea of what is the best way of organising it? She's making less than 100euro a week from this income and it isnt worth paying an accountant.. Can anyone direct me to any websites/etc which might be able to advise?
Thanks.

It's too simple for her to need an accountant, particularly as I expect that she is numerate.

All she needs is a simple record of how much she takes in (a pocket diary might suit) and a note of anything she spends (e.g. travel if it arises, a reasonable estimate of the cost of heating a room if she takes students in her own home, purchase of textbooks or stationery).

When she sends in her form 12, she can submit a supplementary sheet showing how much she took in and spent. Once the tax official recovers from the shock of seeing such voluntary disclosure the wheels will be set in motion and everything will be sorted for her.

She could file a form 11 and show the income under other income. Obviously she will need to enter her main income from pension and other items like
deposit income.
She should also claim any med expenses.
perhaps the local MABS service could help.

Back