Mazda RX8

Aidan23gd

I've been looking at a few RX8's around the place. Most are listed as 1.3L and have very high BHP also. Someone told me though that it is taxed (old regime) as a 1.8? Can anybody explain this, or correct me as the case may very well be!

The Wankel rotary engine in these has cars has higher power output than a regular petrol engine of the same cubic capacity and they use a lot of oil; as a result they have higher emissions levels. The higher tax on them is a Revenue solution to a technology problem. If they followed the logic applied to the RX8 engine through to its logical conclusion, diesel engines would always have been taxed at a lower level than petrol egines of the same size.

Buy shares in an oil-company if you decide on an RX8 - they consume a lot of it.

Wow, just looked it up there, 26 mpg average. What a silly idea! I might aswell go buy a 4.8L Supercharged Range Rover, it'd only shed 3 or 4 mpg! Well that has definitely killed any desire I had to own one.

MX5 instead?

Defo. 1.6i gives 0-100kph in 9.5sec, full service about €180 main dealer, mid 30s mpg even if you put the boot down, cheap as chips to run, never break down, gorgeous to look at , depreciates very slowly ( how about 35% OMV after 8 years) , a good 01 with about 50,000 miles for between €8-9K. .... and no I don't work for Mazda.

The MX5 is a girls car though, in all fairness :)

What about an Alfa GT?

No, it's not - it's a rake's car :)

Fine for about 20 minutes - after which time it will either have broken down or you will be regarded universally as a total tosser for driving such a brash, tacky car. :p

Yeah but im generally regarded as a total tosser so that argument doesnt work for me.

Fine for about 20 minutes - after which time it will either have broken down or you will be regarded universally as a total tosser for driving such a brash, tacky car. :p
What's a rake's car ?:confused:

Wouldn't care about people thinking I'm a tosser....except if they drove past while I was broken down. :)

RX8 is not that bad on oil. A friend of mine has one and his only comment is that his relationship with petrol pump attendents has got so much stronger since he bought it !

Um, can you translate that to English!? :confused:

In fairness, when I see a fella in a soft top MX-5, I'm thinking "hairdresser's car" straight away. Its a little dinky thing thats basically a fashion accessory for girls.

Disagree about the GT being tacky, polished up one looks the business: [broken link removed]

Appreciate the breakdown comment but I think that has improved as well. I dont own one but did consider buying one (started thread here about it!)

No never, I was implying looks-wise. Even performace-wise though, you say 1.6i gives 0-100kph in 9.5sec, not exactly that quick is it? My 02 corolla wouldn't be too far behind ;)

There are faster options if you like - the 2L has 170 bhp and will get you to 100 KPH in 7.5.

Plus, one of the best handling cars ever manufactured.

Great value and legendary reliability.

And of course, you get to feel so rakish that you almost feel like wearing driving gloves, smoking your Dunhills through a filter and impregnating an innocent country girl.

And of course, you get to feel so rakish that you almost feel like wearing driving gloves, smoking your Dunhills through a filter and impregnating an innocent country girl.
I'm definitely getting one now....:D

The wife mightn't be impressed about the last bit tho.

No never, I was implying looks-wise. Even performace-wise though, you say 1.6i gives 0-100kph in 9.5sec, not exactly that quick is it? My 02 corolla wouldn't be too far behind ;)

Behind is still behind ;) TBH it's not the speed thing, it's the handling. Ever go go-karting? Think of doing that at 100Kph in 3rd/4th on a nice windy public road. The MX5 is made for Irish back roads ( Have driven up an officially "closed to traffic" Healy Pass in the company of some 30 members of the Porsche Club of GB and believe me it's a blast ) You don't need raw power to get fun out of it. Beg, borrow or steal one sometime for an hour, you won't regret it.

Plus, one of the best handling cars ever manufactured.
Great value and legendary reliability.

Spot on.

You almost make me want to take up smoking! Pity there's a start button where the lighter used to be. ( see how I carefully ingnored the last bit :D)

Behind is still behind ;) TBH it's not the speed thing, it's the handling. Ever go go-karting? Think of doing that at 100Kph in 3rd/4th on a nice windy public road. The MX5 is made for Irish back roads ( Have driven up an officially "closed to traffic" Healy Pass in the company of some 30 members of the Porsche Club of GB and believe me it's a blast ) You don't need raw power to get fun out of it. Beg, borrow or steal one sometime for an hour, you won't regret it.

I do indeed like karting and the MX-5 does look quite light and nimble I will admit, especially compared with RX-8 which looks quite bulky. Maybe we'll revisit this when i've driven it, with a balaclava on obviously, lest I be spotted :D

Back