Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock (originally posted 24-01-2005)?

Re: Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock?

Thats doesn't seem up to date. Even if I could see it, as its too small.

Solved the problem - thanks to Fingal County Council

Go to the interactive map above.

Goto "Search by" menus in bottom left hand corner

In the "define your search" menu select "Townland"

In "enter search criteria" type "castleknock" or "carpenterstown" etc.

Click go & you get a "Result" to the search.

Click on "Map To" in the result & you get a nice modern map of the Townland.

Should solve all the queries as to what is or isnt Castleknock.

I'm not local to the area so cant answer questions as to what streets, estates etc are in Castleknock etc, but it appears from the official map that ther is very very little of Castleknock outside the M50.

Laurel Lodge is clearly in Castleknock. The main road through it is ‘Castleknock Avenue’, isn’t it? And all the houses off that have ‘Castleknock’ their name. So Laurel Lodge is in Castleknock. You can thank me for that. I was a member of the residents’ association when this whole ‘Castleknock’ issue came up years ago. So to put the matter beyond doubt I proposed that we get the Council to put the name ‘Castleknock’ in all the roads. (Before that it was Road 1, Road 1a, etc.).

From zooming in on the map it appears that "Castleknock Avenue" and most of the houses between it & the railway are in neither Castleknock nor Carpenterstown. They're actually in Blanchardstown.

I suppose just because a road has a place name in it, it doesnt mean it is in that placename e.g. most of Navan Rd is not in Navan & most of Malahide Rd is not in Malahide.

csirl - Game Set and Match with that Fingal Link

Welcome Ex- Castleknockers to Carpenterstown and Blanchardstown :)

Aircobra
I took definition of estate from: [broken link removed]

"housing estate UK noun [C] (US housing development, ALSO subdivision)
an area containing a large number of houses or apartments built close together at the same time: They live on/in a housing estate.
(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)"

I think Carpenterstown is in St. Mochta's Parish, Porterstown for the purposes of a church - but am open to correction there.

Map is interesting as it loops far enough east on Finglas side of Navan Road to include the halting site thus ensuring Castleknock won't get another - I remember an argument about that year's ago & that was exactly why they didn't get one near the village.

From zooming in on the map it appears that "Castleknock Avenue" and most of the houses between it & the railway are in neither Castleknock nor Carpenterstown. They're actually in Blanchardstown.

I suppose just because a road has a place name in it, it doesnt mean it is in that placename e.g. most of Navan Rd is not in Navan & most of Malahide Rd is not in Malahide.

Good find with the map. Pity you can't zoom in and see in more details. I wonder what these boundaries are, because they are not following any physical lanmarks, old or recent. Perhaps they were old fields, estates etc. If so, there must be a a moderm map somewhere with an accurate overlay of the townlands. As you'd expect any new developments to have folowed some old boundary.

I don't know why people are fixated with the names of roads. Its pretty typical to have roads with names that have no relation to where they actually are.

Some of those areas like Laurel Lodge have never been known as Blanchardstown. So its interesting to see the boundary of the townland. I think everyone always took the Canal as the boundary but I guess the townland existed before the canal.

Aircobra
I took definition of estate from: [broken link removed]

"housing estate UK noun [C] (US housing development, ALSO subdivision)
an area containing a large number of houses or apartments built close together at the same time: They live on/in a housing estate.
(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)"

Ok fair enuff. That says nothing about estates not having a shopping center, church etc. Its not mutally exculsive to my mind, especially when consider some estates are very large in size.

I think Carpenterstown is in St. Mochta's Parish, Porterstown for the purposes of a church - but am open to correction there.

That would be Porterstown townland. Parish, Townland and Estate can overlap or not. I don't think there is any relationship there. Especially as Parish boundary change. Porterstown's recently changed to include a much bigger area I think.

Map is interesting as it loops far enough east on Finglas side of Navan Road to include the halting site thus ensuring Castleknock won't get another - I remember an argument about that year's ago & that was exactly why they didn't get one near the village.

I can't think of anywhere near the village they could put one. You could get one just inside the Phoenix Park or in Famleigh. There isn't a scrap of land free is there?

Only picking up on this debate recently and living in carpenterstown (yes carpenterstown) for over 4 years. V nice area.

Just got land registry documents from solicitor recently - and it does same we are lving in the townsland of porterstown in the barony of castleknock. Not sure if this means "game set and match" as one poster put it but its good enough for me, an irish answer to an irish question if you like.

For the record when anyone asks where I live I always say Carpenterstown and then 4 times out of 5 i am asked where is that and Castleknock becomes the default answer/

For sure builders have used the DEDs to the limit and we are close to clonsilla etc etc etc but the houses were sold and bought on the basis of the address and will continue to do so given what the leagal documentation says.

Also for the record my partner is from the village (or real castleknock) and her family see it as one area.

Why is that people from outside the area get so hot and bothered about this?

what areas in blnachardstown do you mean - warrenstown, tyrellstown etc? If so I would have always thought they were blanchardstown without questions but then again nothing seems to be clear cut.

I enjoy watching people get so passionate about it. Its funny to watch.

Search via townland and Blanchardstown.

Its quite a small area. Theres a lot of rough estates around Blanchardstown, and rather than be associated with them, a lot of places claim to be in Blanchardstown. Or just trying to be closer to the M50/town than they actually are.

People really need to check out places on a map and drive around the area to get a feel for it, and see whats close to it. Only a fool would accept advertising at face value.

Back