Window cracked in new house for no reason. Advice please.

shoppergal

Hi,

I moved in a new house in september last year. There have been some settling cracks upstairs but nothing too major. However, last Saturday morning I found a big crack on the inside pane of the double glazed bedroom window. Definitely nothing hit off it so i can't see any reason why it cracked.

Could this have been caused due to expansion/settling?

Does anyone know if the builder would be liable for this and if so how do I approach it. He was very helpful up to the day the house was paid for and then he basically wanted nothing to do with anything else that came up.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This happened to us too in our bathroom after a bad frosty night. Called out the window company to replace it and they found that the glass unit was packed too tight in the frame from day one. they replaced it under warranty with no hassle.

Sounds like you should contact the builder to get name of window company that installed the windows. Probably under guarantee ....

As other poster said ring your builder and get him to either ring the window supplier or get the number off him. Most window suppliers offer a 12 month service package but you may need the job reference number off the builder.

Hopefully it hasn't been caused by movement in your foundations. Are there any other significant cracks in the walls near the door frames or windows. If so it might be worth having a surveyor or engineer to have a look

no other significant cracks. there's some settling cracks at the join between the celing and wall but i understand that these are fairly common. No cracks in walls.

Will give the builder a call to get the details of the glass company.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Window cracked in new house for no reason. Advice please. UPDATE

well we called the builder, he didn't want to know. said he'd never heard of this happening, there was nothing he could do, there was no guarantee and claim it on our house insurance.

he finally gave us the name of the window providers. we rang them and they've advised it's under warranty for a year and they'll send someone out to replace it.

God, our builders are cowboys!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Re: Window cracked in new house for no reason. Advice please. UPDATE

well we called the builder, he didn't want to know. said he'd never heard of this happening, there was nothing he could do, there was no guarantee and claim it on our house insurance.

he finally gave us the name of the window providers. we rang them and they've advised it's under warranty for a year and they'll send someone out to replace it.

God, our builders are cowboys!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

You should ring him back and let him know - if nothing else just to annoy him.

Back