Broadband Question

Staples

I have a phone line with a socket in the house and one in a home office at the bottom of the garden. The office is too far away to pick up a wireless connection from the house.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to access broadband in both locations using the same phone line e.g by installing two modems, one in each location?

Thanks

I have a phone line with a socket in the house and one in a home office at the bottom of the garden. The office is too far away to pick up a wireless connection from the house.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to access broadband in both locations using the same phone line e.g by installing two modems, one in each location?

Thanks
You can only have one modem. What sort of distance are we talking about? You could try using the new 802.11n standard equipment which has much faster speed and greater range. To set this up you would have to replace your dsl router with a -n standard router - and also the network adapter card on the receiving end in the office.
Another option would be to run a cat5 network cable from the router in the house to the office (is this practical?).
Alternatively, if you do a search on the web, you will find network adapters that can have external antennae attached.

Or try a powerline adapter. If your office is on the same phase and same power supply, then you can extend your BB over the mains line using something like homeplug.
Wexfordman

Thanks for your replies Wexfordman.

The distance between the two phone points is about 100 feet (front of the house to bottom of the garden). It's not really feasible to install more cabling so a powerful wireless modem seems like the best way to go.

Is there a particular one that might fit the bill?

Also, does the connection speed affect connectivity. i.e. would a more expensive higher speed account stand a greater chance of establishing a link between the two pint?

Thanks

Also, does the connection speed affect connectivity. i.e. would a more expensive higher speed account stand a greater chance of establishing a link between the two pint?
No, once the phone line reaches the wireless router, it is the router that determines the connection speed and quality of the wireless network.

I think wexfordmans idea re. powerline network adapters - would be the most painless solution with the greatest chance of success....assuming the office is on the same power supply as he mentioned??

Thanks for the replies.

Bear with me. I'm a bit of a techie thickie.

The electric power to the office is on the same circuit (?) as the kitchen.

Assuming this would suffice, how would a powerline adapter actually function?

Have a look here (or in .pdf format [broken link removed]).

I bought a pair of these on eBay and they work a treat.

100 ft does not sound like much, and if the electricity is on the same phase, it would seem to be the simplest solution. If the second location is not on a seprate meter (i.e is on the same ESB feed as the main house, then pretty much you can be sure it is on the same phase, so should work).You can also get the powerling adapters at pc world, maplin or soundstore. Might be worth getting one here even if it cost a few bob more, as it would be easier to return if it did not work for you.
Wexfordman

Back