An Post Installment Savings : offering 20% after 5 years, avg annual compound 3.75%

Staple

Instalment savings with An Post are offering 20% after 5 years, average annual compound rate of 3.75%.
As there is no tax or levies payable, would this be a good regular monthly saving option?

Re: An Post

3.75% is the equivalent of 4.69% gross from an account subject to DIRT. At the moment there are regular saver accounts offering 7% (although check the terms & conditions of each for details of rate guarantees, restrictions on access to money etc.). You can also get up to 5.22% on demand deposit lump sums. See the Financial Best Buys forum for the latest deposit rates on offer. In the past An Post rates were attractive but no longer in my opinion.

As this product is tax free, would the comparable rate not be higher when compared to other taxable products ?
If you are self employed, you would save 41% plus levies 5%, therfore the 3.75% should be grossed up to give a gross rate of 6.9%.
Would this be correct ?

As this product is tax free, would the comparable rate not be higher when compared to other taxable products ?
If you are self employed, you would save 41% plus levies 5%, therfore the 3.75% should be grossed up to give a gross rate of 6.9%.
Would this be correct ?

You will only save tax at 20%-your tax and PRSI bands are irrelevant.

Would this be correct ?
No - if you earned 3.75% net from an account subject to DIRT then the equivalent gross rate before DIRT would be (3.75 / 8) * 10 = 4.6875%. The tax advantage of the An Post accounts don't make up for the fact that compared to other deposit products on the market the rate payable is poor. Obviously the An Post rate is fixed and most other deposit rates are variable but I still don't think that An Post offer a good deal and have not done so for many years now.

I don't understand.
I thought that if you are self employed and pay the top rate of tax, you would have to pay tax 41% and levies 5% on your income including investment income ?

Interest earned on deposits is only subject to DIRT tax, not income tax or PRSI.

I thought deposit interest was taxed at you marginal rate, be it 41% or 20% and then you get credit for any DIRT deducted ?

I believe your standard rate band is increased with a tax credit corresponding to the amount of DIRT tax you paid, so that you are only liable at the standard rate. However, I believe PRSI and the health levy are payable on deposit interest as well (I think?) The An Post account may or may not be exempt from this?

I thought deposit interest was taxed at you marginal rate, be it 41% or 20% and then you get credit for any DIRT deducted ?

Not so. See here:

[broken link removed]

"The payment of retention tax at the standard rate by individuals liable to income tax at the higher rate is regarded as satisfying the individuals' full liability to tax."

Not so. See here:

[broken link removed]

"The payment of retention tax at the standard rate by individuals liable to income tax at the higher rate is regarded as satisfying the individuals' full liability to tax."

except if its the credit union, even though they now deduct tax at source. I have argued this point with my local tax office but to no avail. I also emailed credit union hq but again no definitive answer. I thought the new post accounts were 21% over 5.5 years. Wouldn't go myself as there are better options out there at the moment. If interest rates fall they will still be available for some time as an post is very slow to change.

Calculation Confusion!!!

Sirji,

I would like to know the formula for calculating annual return%. I have invested in ABC stock on 23rd Aug.07 at 2683 which is currently at 2515 on 31st Aug. my absolute return is -6%. But my advisor sent me an annual return of -88.31% is that correct. How can I calculate this in Excel. Please help me sir. Regards, RKI747

Re: Instalment savings with An Post are offering 20% after 5 years, average annual compo

Does it really make any sense to extrapolate an annual return from a one week paper loss in equities?

There are better options out there. The An Post/Postbank account offers restricted access (not even all POs can deal with these accounts) and a poor interest rate compared to other deposit accounts on offer (see the Financial Best Buys forum).

thanks clubman. im looking for a regular savings account, suspose there are many better options out there

Yes - see the Financial Best Buys forum. EBS's offering seems to have the fewest restrictions and maybe the best rate guarantee but check the terms & conditions of each to make sure that they meet your needs.

Does anyone else think that this Installment savings account has become better value of late?

Back