Buying in Dublin 7

legallady

hi
I was wondering what you all thought of buying in the Dublin 7 area? Is anyone here living there? I am a professional in my mid twenties, FTB, and I'm thinking of buying here (cheaper than the southside of the Liffey!) but I just want to know what your experiences are. I want to live in the city, and I know that city living means living with an element of roughness, but is it relatively safe for a girl around the area?
Thanks

Legallady,
I just recently moved out of Dublin 7, Smithfield Market to be precise, where we were renting and purchased much further outside of the city centre as I really wasn't fond of where we were living. Now I'm not sure what kind of place you're looking at getting and I really found there to be a lack of green space among other negative things (noise), althought you're quite close to the city on weekends. Have you thought about where you might like to live in Dublin 7? I have heard good things about Stonybatter and around there. I do have a friend who was mugged a few weeks back in the D7 area so it's about as safe as City Centre.
BTW we haven't regretted moving further away from the city, it may add to our commute but it's a lot more relaxing at home.
ad

Hi

We bought and have been living in D7 for a year. I love it. It varies alot from place to place but some parts are lovely. We live just up from St peters church in the old part of Cabra.

We got a 3 bed house for a very good price. The neighbourhood is very quiet and very community orientated, the community hall has lots on etc. Neighbours are incredibly friendly and have all lived there for yonks so they can tell you who lives in what house four streets over (which maybe some wouldn't like but it does feel very safe everyone knowing each other). We moved from D6 and much prefer the North side. Plus we can walk to O'Connell street in 30mins or down to Phibsboro or Stonetbatter in less than 10.

I think it's just a question of going and having a look at each area individually. D7 changes greatly over short distances.

I really found there to be a lack of green space among other negative things (noise)
Yeah - I mean the Phoenix Park is only 1752 acres of green space on the doorstep of D7. :(

Have lived off Arbour Hill since 1995 and have no major complaints. I posted about this area before so a search might be in order.

Clubman, I did say that I was in Smithfield Market, the only view I had was of he guy growing pot in the apartment in the next block, would that count as green?
ad

thanks for all the replies
I am looking at a place near collins barracks..I dont mind the lack of green area as the phoenix park is right there..
how disturbing is the luas? does anyone have experience living right beside a luas line? the apt I am looking at looks out onto the luas line

Is the apartment anywhere near Judge Darleys pub (currently closed but license was renewed last year) which has flats above it? If so I would advise you to visit the area regularly to make sure that this location is OK with you... I don't live too far from there but would not like to live much nearer!

thanks for all the replies
I am looking at a place near collins barracks..I dont mind the lack of green area as the phoenix park is right there..
how disturbing is the luas? does anyone have experience living right beside a luas line? the apt I am looking at looks out onto the luas line

Living close to a LUAS line might be a pain if your apt is close to a junction between the LUAS and the road. The LUAS drivers seem to automatically 'ding-ding-ding' every time they come in contact with the public road. With a LUAS going every 10 mins at peak times (both directions) I think I would crack up. The angry LUAS horn (the loud shrill dalek-type blast) is enough to wake the dead!

Although you might be the type of person that wouldn't even notice it ?
My mother lives very close to a motorway and doesn't notice the constant hum of cars any more....

thanks clubman.
Where exactly is that pub? Are the regulars in the pub a rowdy crowd?
It's on the corner of Benburb Street and Temple Street West. The Millennium Bar is on the other corner. A bit down from the Ashling Hotel heading back towards town. The pub is closed at the moment but seemed to be a bit "lively" at the weekends when it was open. They have renewed their license even though it has been closed for more than a year if I recall correctly. The Millennium Bar and several local residents objected to the renewal. Some of the tenants in the flats above the bar seem a bit rough but on the other hand I have never had any hassle with them while down that direction.

i know its not very near where you're thinking of, but the Navan Road area is good value in my opinion (if you could apply that term "good value" to any property in dublin) ;)

Back