Global Stock Market System-www.GSMSireland.com Any experience using the service?

Badger

Had a free demonstration of the service this company provides last night. The service basically consists of:
  • Computer programme package which, when connected to their site, gives information on all stocks, commodoties etc including price, sales, moving averages, etc.
  • They provide 20 "tips" per month
  • Theory goes that you follow one or two of these "tips" each month
  • Shares are held for approx 6 weeks, depending on circumstances
  • They claim 70% of "tips" work out and you should get a return on capital of approx 40% annualy.
  • Trade through flexco at charge of .35%. They provide the "tips".
  • Up front charge of approx 1800 and €1 per day for advisary service, tips, etc.
Thats just what I can rememeber from the top of my head from last night, feel free to correct me. Their website is [broken link removed]

My own opinions are
  • Its not an investment service but a speculation service.
  • Both the up front and the daily charge seem high.
  • The 40% return seems ambitious
  • To run a mile from it
Despite my reservations, I think its fair to give it a chance by researching it a bit more.The guy who gave us the demo seemed genuine and claims he makes more out of using the package than from work.

Has anyone had any experience using the service? Any opinions?

Re: Global Stock Market System?

Agree with your opinions, except to say that 40% is achievable using short hold times and low commissions
M

If it was so easy, any dumb would be a millionaire....
The guy who gave us the demo seemed genuine and claims he makes more out of using the package than from work.
that's salesman's bull....he makes more money selling the package than using it for sure..
Its not an investment service but a speculation service.
Both the up front and the daily charge seem high.
The 40% return seems ambitious
To run a mile from it
You are right...Nobody has ever achieved 40% (i guiess you meant per year|) constantly on the stock
I thing W. Buffet did around 7% over a long period of time

How long would it take to just recover their charges...?
Run 1000miles from it

Actually Buffett's returns were in excess of 30% per year over the last 30 or 40 years. George Soros' returns were also in excess of 30% p.a. Steve Cohen's hedge fund has averaged over 40% p.a. since inception in 1992. Ed Seykota earned over 250,000% over a 16 year period (1970's and 1980's) as well as earning over 60% p.a. in the 1990'2.
There are many more who can boast of similar returns (mainly short term traders, Buffett being the exception).

7% per year is what you can generally expect from index investing.

However, I'd be very sceptical if the boys from GSMS are in the league of Soros, etc. Cheap website, overpriced package, most of the info offered is freely available on the web. Preying on people's ignorance - don't fall for it.

Yeah, 40% annual. Ye have confirmed my spectisism. Thanks for yer thoughts.

Just to clarify - I do believe 40% p.a. is a feasible target for well-informed traders and look for returns in excess of that myself.

I don't see any evidence of trading expertise on the GSMS website, however. I do see a lot of BS.

OP
Despite my reservations, I think its fair to give it a chance by researching it a bit more.The guy who gave us the demo seemed genuine and claims he makes more out of using the package than from work

yea, cant understand why he is wasting time selling the product when he could earn more using it?
R

I do believe 40% p.a. is a feasible target for well-informed traders and look for returns in excess of that myself.
Are you saying you are getting 40% per annum return on your stock investement? Do you work on the floor?

Don't want to distort this thread with personal details although no, i don't work on the floor.

My point is that if you have an edge (most don't, and I certainly see no evidence of same with the GSMS set-up), you can and should earn returns in the area of the aforementioned figures (assuming your trading is short term in nature - getting such returns through 'buy and hold' would demand a very inefficient market as well as phenomenal stock-picking skills and is next to impossible).

Don't want to distort this thread with personal details although no, i don't work on the floor.

My point is that if you have an edge (most don't, and I certainly see no evidence of same with the GSMS set-up), you can and should earn returns in the area of the aforementioned figures (assuming your trading is short term in nature - getting such returns through 'buy and hold' would demand a very inefficient market as well as phenomenal stock-picking skills and is next to impossible).

Echo that, I am achieving a slightly higher return, using short term positions,

M

Echo that, I am achieving a slightly higher return, using short term positions, M
over how long a time period?

given the high transaction costs of high volume trading,and that its already a negative sum gain,only a small percentage of participants could possibly record these gains.

The chances of anybody beating the market long term are extremely slim.

Being doing it for 15 years. Of course, some years are better than others and you can also argue that market conditions during much of that time were anomalous (1996-2000), but still....

without going into details, what has been your returns over these 15 years?

I'm curious too. If you were putting 10k a year into it, 40% PA for 15 years would be worth about 4million now. By way of contrast, investing in an index like the S&P 500, you'd only have 300k. If you've really achieved this, it'd be a remarkable return.

I'm curious too. If you were putting 10k a year into it, 40% PA for 15 years would be worth about 4million now. By way of contrast, investing in an index like the S&P 500, you'd only have 300k. If you've really achieved this, it'd be a remarkable return.
I think its closer to 5.4m,but if you had this kind of record then you would be up there with these guys

29% for 37 yrs. - George Soros
21% for 40 yrs. - Warren Buffett
29% for 18 yrs. - Eddie Lampert
29% for 18 yrs. - Peter Lynch
24% for 13 yrs. - Jim Cramer
15% for 20 yrs. - Benjamin Graham

Obviously only a minority will ever beat the market. That goes without saying (zero sum game, etc). I would argue that well-informed traders with a good technical awareness, a keen sense of risk, a good money management system and the ability to curtail their emotions will profit and do so handsomely. The fact that most retail traders are ignorant of market matters and lose money in the process does not mean trading is a 'mugs game', as contributors routinely trot out.

The point about transaction costs making active trading unfeasible doesn't hold water anymore. Trading US stocks is dirt cheap (a couple of firms are even offering commission-free trading, although for various reasons I would not recommend this route). Different story with Ireland obviously - fees here are obscene.

Maintaining those kind of returns gets more difficult as ones account grows. It's a lot easier to make 40% on a 50k account as opposed to a 50 million account. Incidentally, this is a point made by the aforementioned Peter Lynch, who insisted that the fund manager is at a disadvantage in many respects. Anyway, until size becomes a burden, there's no reason not to aspire to such returns, IMHO.

(On an aside, I would query Jim Cramer's claim re. 24% over 13 years. These claims have never been backed up by an audit and most people in the trading world laugh at the notion that Mr. 'Booyah' is the market beater he pretends to be).

You stated
charttrader said:
Just to clarify - I do believe 40% p.a. is a feasible target for well-informed traders and look for returns in excess of that myself.

and I asked
bacchus said:
without going into details, what have been your returns over these 15 years?

With all respect, Charttrader, you seem to be talking you way out of the topic in your last post... (you are of course free not to answer.)

But AAM readers shall certainly not believe for a second that you have made 40% per annum over 15 years... Without questionning your knowledge and ability to capture market opportunities, my reading so far is that you may have made 40% at some stage over a carefully selected period of time.

Regarding short term positions, it is all about market timing and i actually find it very difficult if not impossible to do... you need to get some "info" before anybody else, and unless you have a presence on the floor, you get the info once it has been leaked and at the same time as the public Often too late..

Problem with short term position is void periods (money not invested). The return during that time is -inflation rate%... and these impacts dramatically the return per annum.

Bacchus,

read more carefully - I made the claim that I beat the market over 15 years, Charttrader made the 40% claim. Not sure who your diatribe is directed at, but I disagree with just about everything in your post.

1. My return is difficult to measure over 15 years, as I have taken money out of my account (to buy a house!). It is of the order of 5000%.
2. Market timing is not that difficult. It is never perfect but better than random timing of investments.
3. I have no floor presence, nor do I have access to insider info.
4. Money not invested in the stock market at any time is in a money market account earning interest. It is parked there (hopefully) to avoid losses during periods of poor stock market performance,
5. Commissions are small fractions of a % if you look around, so the number of trades made is not a significant impact on return. (charttrader stated free trades are also available)
6. I made an initial investment of $13k - never put anything else in.
7. A large portion of my overall gain came in the internet years, but I never failed in 15 years to beat the S&P 500,the Dow 30 or the Nasdaq composite (whichever was highest) by less than 4%.
M

Back