Manchester property

gino

Hi All

is anyone expeirenced in investing in property in manchester or in the north west of england. has anyone every dealt with gaughran homes ,how did you find them to deal with

cheers

Hi All

is anyone expeirenced in investing in property in manchester or in the north west of england. has anyone every dealt with gaughran homes ,how did you find them to deal with

cheers

anyway - since its not been moved - I think I should give you an answer - I know they are a small/medium time developer run by a guy based in Sandyford but they are known to undertake developments in Manchester

I know someone who bought an apartment from them in Leeds a couple of years ago, and found them very good to deal with.

Hi there.

Never heard of that developer. I live in Manchester so any questions just let me know and I'll try to help.

Hi All

cheers

Always ask what price you will get if you buy four in a new development - be serious about this. This will let you know the real price of whats for sale. If the single price is not that much higher you may be getting a reasonable deal.

Last edited:
Cheers Ringledman

What do you know about the Hulme Area of Manchester, what is it like ,it is supposed to be a re generation area just outside the city centre, just before you come to moss side.

any comment greatly appreciated

the area is situated 1/2 south of the city centre - historically a black and irish area but in the 15 year before 2000 it was mainly a black area and had serious anti social problems including drugs, gangs and robbery.

In 2000 they cleared the area of many of the high rise and built new build low rise apartments and townhouses. Much of the existing residents were given houses/apartments within the same developments as private buyers. Investors (many Irish) piled in as the locals wouldnt touch it because of its reputation. They made a killing as prices almost trebled. The capital growth in that area has now stalled. Its still relatively easy to let in this area due to its proximity to the city centre and university but the turnover is VERY high as it looks like the perfect place for newbies to the city but they soon get broken into and/or mugged and move out to the city centre or other safer southern suburbs.

If you are looking for a cheap place to buy to let try Whalley range which is the next area to the south, if you want capital growth over the next 5-10 years try chorlton, the next south. I mainly quote these two suburbs as hot spots because they are safe (WR getting a lot safer than 5 years ago) and because of the new tram extension.

Others to look are are West Didsbury, Withington, Didsbury

More risky (but possibly more rewarding) are Fallowfield, Urmston, Ashton-u-Lyne, Gorton, Stalybrigde

Originally Posted by ringledman http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=273913#post273913
Hi there.

Never heard of that developer. I live in Manchester so any questions just let me know and I'll try to help.

so do I, what do you do ringle?

I work in Construction Management, so got a little vested interest in property. What about yourself?

Cheers Ringledman

What do you know about the Hulme Area of Manchester, what is it like ,it is supposed to be a re generation area just outside the city centre, just before you come to moss side.

any comment greatly appreciated

I agree wholeheartedly with propertyprof, I would not invest in Hulme. I nearly bought my first property there in 2004 and am so glad I didn't. The real problem is that the social housing is mixed in with the new builds. Too rough in my opinion. Can't see any capital gains there at all in the next 5years.

Manchester centre is flooded with new build flats, I also wouldnt buy there. The best place is south manchester- Didsbury, Chorlton but top end prices. Otherwise I think Withington is going to be a good place in the next 10years. Also Sale is a good suburb. Some parts of Victoria Park are ok too for the cheaper end of things.

Hi Ringledman, any opinion on Levenshulme ? Some newly built apts. available there at the moment.

cheers Ged

Co. Levenshulme as its known - formerly a very big irish area, not a mixture of second gen irish and asain. Its beside Longsight - probably the worst area for gun crime in the UK. However, many young professionals and arty types that can afford Chorlton/Didsbury have been moving there but the tend to prefer the characterfully victorian terraces in levenshulme.

Not a bad bet at the right price imo

Has anybody had any dealings with an irish company based in liverpool and selling there and in manchester? Their name is RANProperties and I recently came across them in relation to new developmemts in both areas.

Dont know much about Levenshulme. I went there once but I didn't like it at all. Personally I wouldn't buy there - its a bit out of the way from everything else, just kind of sits on its own with a lot of bad areas around.

IMO the best place to buy is anywhere along Oxford Road and then Wilmslow Road (except for Rusholme). Everything in Manchester feeds off here. Otherwise Chorlton is good.

Probably get a good cheap off plan in East Manchester but you would need to hold for a long time to get a return as the investment and metrolink are a number of years off.

I would strongly recommend visiting manchester and spending a week before buying off plan here. you'll soon get an idea for where is decent and not.

Dont know much about Levenshulme. I went there once but I didn't like it at all. Personally I wouldn't buy there - its a bit out of the way from everything else, just kind of sits on its own with a lot of bad areas around.

IMO the best place to buy is anywhere along Oxford Road and then Wilmslow Road (except for Rusholme). Everything in Manchester feeds off here. Otherwise Chorlton is good.

Probably get a good cheap off plan in East Manchester but you would need to hold for a long time to get a return as the investment and metrolink are a number of years off.

I would strongly recommend visiting manchester and spending a week before buying off plan here. you'll soon get an idea for where is decent and not.

Yeah Levenshulme is surrounded by poor areas to the north and west. The Wilmslow Road corridor is great for renting out for capital appriciation will be limited for the next couple of years.

Back