References: dates and length of time she has worked there and nothing more.

elainem

Hi! My friend is working for an organisation for almost 6 months. She can't do the hours they want, but can do less - 22hrs instead of 30. This has been an ongoing battle and my friend has said she will look for another job when they say this to her, but the company has always kept her on.

However, she got a new job, but now the manager in her current job is getting really shirty and saying that he will just say the dates and length of time she has worked there including her job title and final salary, but no more.

Maybe a lot of companies do this nowadays, but my friend is worried. She feels that if nothing else is said, it makes it look like there were problems when she worked there (my friend does a good job - but is working at entry level when she was a manager preiously in another company, and now has been offered a managerial position in this new company pending references). Manageme3nt where she is knew that she was overqualified for the job and that she was looking to get back into management.

Does a mere dates and time reference look bad? I think it does but I'm out of touch with the business world. If questions like - did she leave of her own accord etc. cannot be answered, doesn't that look like my friend could have been dismissed or something?

Comments/advice welcome.

Most companies do these statements of employment rather than reference to avoid any problems.

This does seem to be a growing trend. It is often done with complete hypocrisy, where potential new employees are expected to produce glowing, detailed references, but outgoing employees only get the bare facts.

This does seem to be a growing trend. It is often done with complete hypocrisy, where potential new employees are expected to produce glowing, detailed references, but outgoing employees only get the bare facts.

Agreed. As a manager in an organisation where the policy was to only give basic factual references, I would always be clear to staff who worked well and did a good job that I would give a phone reference if needed, maybe once things have calmed down this might be an option for your friend?

She should also try and be sure she gets a good reference from her managerial job as the new employer may think this is more important

Agreed. As a manager in an organisation where the policy was to only give basic factual references, I would always be clear to staff who worked well and did a good job that I would give a phone reference if needed, maybe once things have calmed down this might be an option for your friend?

Been there and worn the t-shirt. After giving the phone reference, they emailed it to me and asked me to confirm that everything they noted was accurate, which put me in a bind.

Back