How to fix creaking floorboards without lifting carpet

aidans

I saw a link online from the US showing how a clever combination of bespoke screws and drill bits allows creaking floorboards to be sorted without lifting the carpet. Anyone know of anyone in Dublin that provides such a service?

I spent much of the weekend using this kit.
It works really well. I was a bit worried about going through a pipe, but I haven't yet.

We couldn't find anyone in Ireland selling this, or anyone on the internet delivering to Ireland. We did eventually get it posted to us.
I'll post the details when I find them.

Thanks - strange that no-one has decided to offer this service here as there is no shortage of creakng floorboards!

The problem here is you can't do a good job of this without lifting the carpets. How can you figure out where the joists are without doing this? (I'm presuming this is an upper floor of standard wooden joist construction.)

There are a number of options open to you to resolve this, and previous threads here have touched upon them, including screwing the offending boards down securely or dusting the joints with talc or the like to reduce the friction, but all proper solutions require the carpets to be lifted.

Is there a reason you don't want to lift the carpets? In most cases they can be replaced easily enough.
Leo

The problem here is you can't do a good job of this without lifting the carpets. How can you figure out where the joists are without doing this? (I'm presuming this is an upper floor of standard wooden joist construction.)
I did a good job without lifting the carpets - the boards do not squeak any more.
This is the kit I used:
http://www.123itsdone.com/

To find joists, well most floors have joists that are 16" centres. Joists generally run in the direction 90 degrees to the apex of the roof.
In the kit is a screw that only has a the top couple of centimetres threaded. Screw this into the floor to find the joist. If it does not reverse out by itself, you've missed the joist.

I found the joists easily.

Thanks. That's exactly what I had seen online. My experience is that carpets never go down as well when they have been taken up. Also, if the kit works and it comes well recommended then using it is way easier than moving furniture, lifting carpets, srewing down and then replacing carpets. Thanks again.

Hey, sometimes the pipe run over the joists with the nails put in on either side so watch out, do NOT nail in the centre of the floorboard, u only have to be unlucky once.
--------------------------- edge of floorboard
|O Nail
================ water/heating pipe
|O Nail
-----------------------------

Aidens - I had to put quite a few screws in to fix some of the worse creaks, so bear this in mind.

donee - My floors are 8x4 sheets of chipboard nailed to the joists, so they are hard to avoid standing on. Creaks were really bad. Practically every footstep would result in a creak.
Next time I'll buy a house with concrete floors!

I hear you. As a matter of interest how long did you have to wait for the delivery from the US to arrive?

Back