Wall Plugs

M

mmclo

Am I the only one who has constant problems with these ubiqutous items. They often seem to collapse in as I drill...or more commonly everything is fine for a while and then things hung begin to sag (curtain rails, hangers!!) they stay secured but the top of plug hangs out!!

Is there an alternative (have tried some glues to little effect) or am I just doing something very wrong??

It appears the drill bit you are using is not the correct size for the plug.

Any time I have being restricted to the size of the bit vs plug, I have half filled the hole with some with some Polyfilla and put some of the plug before putting it in.
Leave it an hour before drilling in your screw.

Never any problems with this approach.

wallplugs

i think those things are useless for plasterboard. try the expanding metal butterfly type. much dearer but work 100% every time

Re: wallplugs

If you're putting them into plasterboard rather than block/concrete wall, then don't drill the hole. Use a small screwdriver instead, and widen the hole until the plug goes in with a few firm taps from a screwdriver handle or similar. Also make sure then that the screw is not too wide for the plug, as this would also compromise it's stability. I've hung some very heavy pictures on plasterboard walls without problem.
For extremely heavy loads, then Eamon's advise is good.

Re: wallplugs

I like the idea of something a bit stronger. These are all plugs and screws supplied with the installations in question so I thought it reasonable to assume they matched.

I have used screwdriver as well but results not much better, admitedly this was after damage was done

Will try the metal butterflies (what an image!)

if its plasterboard you have been using basic wall plugs in, then never mind the sagging...its a wonder they haven't come down on top of you!

li01135.jpg
<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Used these for partition (plasterboard) walls in the States and found them in Woodies DIY. Also come in metal for very high load-bearing requirements.

Agree with Max. The best solution I've come across. However Woodies and others are very dear. You'r better off buying a bulk box of 50 from a wholesaler.

Thanks for the tips.

Will these alternatives come in differen sizes? as obviously I've got to get then throught the bracket and use the fittings I have.

This why I find it amazing that the parts supplied with these installations (curtain rails shelves, hangers etc.) are not sufficient!!

, the screw-type anchors are self-drilling directly into the plasterboard. Best part is that they are completely level with the wall surface. You then thread the fastener (screw) through whatever is to be mounted and screw in into the anchor. And you can remove the anchor and Poly-filla the hole if necessary.

"This why I find it amazing that the parts supplied with these installations (curtain rails shelves, hangers etc.) are not sufficient!!"

Personally, I would not rely on any plasterboard anchor to hold any of the above angular load bearing items.

"This why I find it amazing that the parts supplied with these installations (curtain rails shelves, hangers etc.) are not sufficient!!"
Have to say I never ever use the plugs/screws supplied with anything that hangs from the wall since they're always s****. Max's recommendation are very effective and easy to use.

So is there a consensus on whether or not hanging lined curtains from plasterboard is a good or bad idea?

Having checked over my windows, there's little else to hang them from. I'd been checking various types of fixing and the heavy duty plugs seemed best.

But I don't want to come home some evening and find my curtains and parts of my wall lying in a pile on the floor!

So is there a consensus on whether or not hanging lined curtains from plasterboard is a good or bad idea?
It's probably a good idea if you value your privacy but a bad idea if your into exhibitionism! :)
Seriously though, I've hung very heavy curtains on plasterboard walls for herself using plastic wall plugs and screws. The rail was of the wooden pole variety, thus putting quite a load on the plugs. They're still holding firm about 8 years on, despite the next generation trying to use them as a climbing rope! So based on my personal experience, if you go for even stronger fixings like what Max or Eamon suggest, you should be able to hang a TV off them!

Dont have anything to add to the above

Its all more or less said

But I do wonder at how easy at how easy it is to kill off a brand name.

These things for decades were known as Rawlplugs ( originally made by the Rawlplug company ) even if they were copies made by Anyoldcompany Ltd.

They then went on to make a bigger beast for serious fixing called a Rawlbolt.

Can it be long before the word Hoover is no longer any carpet cleaning device ?

Yeh it sounded like Rawlplug to me but thought that couldn't be right!!

Don't have any beef with them only that I think the fittings supplied with things should work!

The curtains I'm talking about are 90X90 (ish) but unlined. Given the presence of 18 month old I don't want to see them coming down either. They're temporarily removed for now till I try some of the solutions proposed...don't worry about exhibitionism...have blinds!

Where is the wholesalers that sells the boxes of 50 metal wall plugs? I need to hang heavy shelves on tracks on a plasterboard wall. Would this be the best option for doing this?

maura said:
Where is the wholesalers that sells the boxes of 50 metal wall plugs? I need to hang heavy shelves on tracks on a plasterboard wall. Would this be the best option for doing this?

I don't know about wholesalers but from what I've read those-in-the-know seem to rely on securing heavy items to a batten placed behind the plasterboard and wouldn't even trust metal plasterboard fixings. I'm going to be putting up cupboads full of heavy crockery soon so does anybody else know whether the metal fixings can take the weight without additional support?

TheGreenMan said:
I don't know about wholesalers but from what I've read those-in-the-know seem to rely on securing heavy items to a batten placed behind the plasterboard and wouldn't even trust metal plasterboard fixings. I'm going to be putting up cupboads full of heavy crockery soon so does anybody else know whether the metal fixings can take the weight without additional support?

The professional approach to this problem would be to cut out the plaster board behind where you intend to fix the cupboard and fix a softwood or ply grounds behind. This will allow you to fix your units directly to the ply and not to plasterboard and is infintely stronger. Obviously this solution is permanent and not recommended where you might consider removing units down the road.

This company would solve most of your plug/fixing problems: Masonry Fixing Services Ltd., e-mail: [email protected]
They have outlets in Cork, Dublin and Belfast.
I'm not connected to them, but their man in Cork helped me a good deal and they have an excellent cataloge.

Back