Las Vegas - Cheap flights - Best value hotels

M

MS1

Thinking of going to Las Vegas for a week - never been there before and always wanted to check it out. Whats best value way of getting there?? Any recommendations for hotels????

Thanks

We flew with Delta - Dublin- Atlanta-Las Vegas. Stayed in Caesars Palace, paid about €150 a night which we booked through the hotel website. Its pretty much centre strip.

A week might be a bit much though, unless your really into gambling. We spent 4 days there..crazy place! We spent two days wandering in and out of the hotels on the strip, each one has its own particular theme and each tackier than the last. Its like Disney for adults:D

We flew out to the Grand Canyon and took a helicopter to the bottom...well worth doing. Its spectacular! And check out Fremont street...worth a visit at night-time.

We hired a car and drove to LA for 4 days and flew back LA-Atlanta- Dublin.

I went Shannon - Atlanta - Vegas with Delta.

When it comes to hotels, I have the ultimate advice:
Avoid staying a Saturday night if possibe becaus eif there is a convention on, then rates shoot up.

Book 4 or 5 hotels (yes, I'm serious). Use offical hotel website in each case. Observe the rates fluctuate and when they drop, rebook. Just before you leave, decide which one you are going to stay in and cancel all of the others.

On arrival, wrap a $20 bill (or $50!!!) around your credit card and ask for a really good room. This is how you get an upgrade to a suite in Vegas. I was told to do it and I did it and it worked. I saw another guy do it too. If you are checking in on a Fri or Sat, this is less likely to work.

What is the purpose of your visit?

Romance - stay at Venetian
Pools - stay at Mandaly Bay (I did. it's brilliant)
Budget - stay off Strip but remember taxis are dear and it gets hot during the day.
Novelty - stay at MGM, biggest hotel in world
Cheap bed in middle of it all - Imperial Palace or Circus Circus

Let us know how you get on.

Would recommend "The Hotel" at Mandalay Bay for a great stay, not tacky in the least, very classy and luxurious in fact, 725 sq ft suites (http://www.mandalaybay.com/persona/THEhotel.aspx). There is accommodation in Vegas to suit every taste and pocket. We finally got a great deal by contacting the hotel directly, letting them know we were also considering Bellagio and Venetian (both recommended but more traditional in style). As it was Christmas the rates were up everywhere but I kept an eye on fluctuating prices and booked about 8 weeks in advance from memory. Aer Lingus are now flying in partnership with Jet Blue.

To be honest, unless you are really into gambling, a week in Vegas is a long time. I would recommend 4-5 days, one of which you will spend at the Grand Canyon, which is well worth the trip, also Hoover Dam, then off to LA for the remainder of your break.

Lots of info here http://www.vegas.com/

Thank you all for the advice............much appreciated!

On arrival, wrap a $20 bill (or $50!!!) around your credit card and ask for a really good room. This is how you get an upgrade to a suite in Vegas. I was told to do it and I did it and it worked. I saw another guy do it too. If you are checking in on a Fri or Sat, this is less likely to work.

Let us know how you get on.

No need to "wrap" it around your credit card. As you check in you will be asked for your credit card and ID (driving licence or passport). Just have some cash in hand as you pass over your card.

After you have been checked in (and hopefully upgraded) hand over the $20, saying something like "Thank you for the good service".

Check in staff are allowed take tips, they are not allowed take bribes.

The Las Vegas forum on Tripadvisor.com gives more info. on this.

I've stayed at Treasure Island twice and have enjoyed it. The second time I booked directly on the hotel's website where they have special offers.

Back