Unwanted Texts 2 euro charge

Lorrie

hi!
Just wondering does anyone know how to get rid of texts that include me in a draw - the text is from 57080. I didn't subscribe to it and each time it arrives it takes 2 euro off my ready to go credit. I have texted the usual "STOP" and "UNSUBS" and then I get a reply from 087-7722200 which tells me to text STOP followed by OPERAGIMME and PMANIA. I have done this to both and still am receiving Congrats texts with name of latest winner of credit or call credit - telling me my number is in the current draw.
I am unlikely to win but two euros is a bit steep for each text I receive. Does anyone know how to stop it? Thanks.

Get on (in writing) to your operator and also to ComReg and make it clear that you have unsubscribed from this service but they continue to charge you in breach of the regulations and get them to sort it out. Make it clear that you do not authorise the removal of funds from your account by the organisation providing this service and you have followed the unsubscribe process - this may not have any immediate effect but it should enable you to claim the money back from your operator eventually.

If you are 100% sure you didn't subscribe to the service then also consider a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner on the basis that they are using information for purposes other than that which it was gathered.

I don't know why people put up with even one of these messages. If someone came up to you and just took €2 out of your pocket and then came back again, and again, would people put up with it ?

z

Thank you Zag, I will indeed send them a letter. I definitely did not subscribe to it - but I have in the past entered competitions via text - this I believe is perhaps how it started? Maybe my number was passed on the same way as email addresses.

zag said:
Get on (in writing) to your operator and also to ComReg
NOT COMREG , its premium text so you complain to [broken link removed]

If you are 100% sure you didn't subscribe to the service then also consider a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner on the basis that they are using information for purposes other than that which it was gathered.

Good point. Also report to the Garda Fraud Squad.

etel - thanks for pointing out the difference between the two bodies.

I had a look at the RegTel site and see that their code of practice includes the following - "4.1 Service providers must not send, or have others send on their behalf, unsolicited, random, or untargeted telecommunications messages, and the use of Premium Rate Services must not be promoted by the use of such messages. Premium Services may be promoted by outgoing telecommunication messages only where it can be shown to the reasonable satisfaction of the Regulator that the Consumer has ‘opted-in’ to the receipt of such messages."

z

Hi there, thanks for your replies. I emailed Vodafone firstly to complain. I received a response today telling me The text messages are coming from a company called Opera Telecom.You can unsubscribe by calling 0818 286 606 or by texting unsub
delete and sending it to 57080. I texted and got a reply saying I was not subscribed to it? I then just sent UNSUB alone to the number and they replied saying "by opting you U gave up a possible 60 euro credit in the coming weeks! 2 rejoin send GIMME to 57080. Ur now unsubscribed and can't get anymore free credit"
I can only wait now and see do I get anymore texts - hopefully not!!

Back