Reliable economical mid-size car

Teatime

My wife is changing car (2001 Seat Ibiza). She wants another mid-size car that is safe, reliable and economical. I am thinking 2008+ models to avail of cheaper tax.

Any recommendations for make/model of 2008+ mod-size cars?

The main cost of running a car is the depreciation not the tax. So its a false economy to change for tax alone. Obviously you have other reasons, but people could advise you better if you gave those other requirements.

The main cost of running a car is the depreciation not the tax. So its a false economy to change for tax alone. Obviously you have other reasons, but people could advise you better if you gave those other requirements.

I think you're misunderstanding the OP there - they're changing up in the years anyway, so if you're going to '06 (for example) then you may as well go to '08, seeing as you're talking about a car that's already depreciated by >50% anyway...

I'd guess that the OP wants a nice reliable car that will keep chugging away reliably for 5/6 years, like the Ibiza may have done for them. If so OP I'd say go for a Mazda 3 or a Skoda Fabia, both very good for reliability.

They said specifically they were changing for the tax.

Also they've given us no information. Are they doing 5k a year or 50k a year.

They said specifically they were changing for the tax.

Also they've given us no information. Are they doing 5k a year or 50k a year.

You must be kidding - read the first sentence: "My wife is changing car". That is a fact. The OP then says that he reckons she should go for 2008+ to avail of the cheaper tax. It's not him who's changing car, it's his wife. We don't know what she thinks / wants. But we know that she IS changing car, tax rates notwithstanding.

I think you're misunderstanding the OP there - they're changing up in the years anyway, so if you're going to '06 (for example) then you may as well go to '08, seeing as you're talking about a car that's already depreciated by >50% anyway...

I'd guess that the OP wants a nice reliable car that will keep chugging away reliably for 5/6 years, like the Ibiza may have done for them. If so OP I'd say go for a Mazda 3 or a Skoda Fabia, both very good for reliability.

You're exactly right. The Seat is on its last legs and we just want another reliable/economical car. We have an Octavia Diesel too and its a fantastic car. Would prefer a diesel again - will have a look at the Fabia - dont see too many of them about though. About 10,000 miles per year.

Won't give you an opinion on the car as I'm not too familiar with cars in that bracket, I will say if you go for a 08 make sure it's post June as that's when the tax bands changed, a work colleague just changed his and didn't realise it themselves so he is still paying the old rates.

I will say if you go for a 08 make sure it's post June as that's when the tax bands changed, a work colleague just changed his and didn't realise it themselves so he is still paying the old rates.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Won't give you an opinion on the car as I'm not too familiar with cars in that bracket, I will say if you go for a 08 make sure it's post June as that's when the tax bands changed, a work colleague just changed his and didn't realise it themselves so he is still paying the old rates.

this isn't correct

2008 cars registered before june should be at which ever rate is lower!

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesbasedonCO2Emissions/

VW Polo or Golf or Ford Fiesta or Focus diesel. VW have a better brand image, Ford are better to drive and cheaper to service and run.
I did 260 miles in a new Polo diesel in Scotland last week (hire car) and it cost £21 to fill it back up when I was returning it.
My own car was in for a service this week and I was given a new 1.6L Mondeo diesel. I was getting over 60 mpg and it was a truly magnificent car in every respect. I would have said it was at least a 2 litre engine going by the power. As far as I know the Focus has the same engine.

VW Polo or Golf or Ford Fiesta or Focus diesel. VW have a better brand image, Ford are better to drive and cheaper to service and run.
I did 260 miles in a new Polo diesel in Scotland last week (hire car) and it cost £21 to fill it back up when I was returning it.
My own car was in for a service this week and I was given a new 1.6L Mondeo diesel. I was getting over 60 mpg and it was a truly magnificent car in every respect. I would have said it was at least a 2 litre engine going by the power. As far as I know the Focus has the same engine.

+1 Purple. Proud new owner of a Mondeo here and I can honestly say it is the best car I've ever driven. Now it's nowhere near 60mpg for me (getting 48mpg) but it's a 2.0L, but for pure enjoyment it is fantastic. It's probably a bit more than the OP is looking for but completely agree on the Fords, I've owned 4 Fords in the past 12 years and loved every one of them. Teatime what is your budget?

+1 Purple. Proud new owner of a Mondeo here and I can honestly say it is the best car I've ever driven. Now it's nowhere near 60mpg for me (getting 48mpg) but it's a 2.0L, but for pure enjoyment it is fantastic.

Yea, I've been seriously impressed with Ford for the last few years.
The reason I bought the car I have now is that it has such a heavy Ford influence (though it's a Indian car made in England).

VW Polo or Golf or Ford Fiesta or Focus diesel.
+1. If you like Volkswagen, you might also consider the Skoda Octavia, pretty much the same car for a lot less money, and the newer mark II (post-2005) model actually comes out ahead of the Volkswagen in safety ratings. Diesel ftw.

+1. If you like Volkswagen, you might also consider the Skoda Octavia, pretty much the same car for a lot less money, and the newer mark II (post-2005) model actually comes out ahead of the Volkswagen in safety ratings. Diesel ftw.

Already have an Octavia. The Mondeo is a bit big and Polo a bit small - will look at a few Focus diesels though.

Should be possible to get a decent 09 Focus for the top end of that budget, or an 08 at the lower end. There are a couple of Carzone at the minute, [broken link removed] or [broken link removed]
Plenty of room for haggling in the current climate if you're paying with cash.

Back