Bulgarian Property Exhibition

With regard to the weather' I enjoy Benidorm in the winter without a thought for laying on a beach. Many people love a visit to Prague' again not to lay on the deck of a boat floating under Charles Bridge. Crisp sunny weather can't beat it' cheap flights too Sunny Beach in the winter' lots of accomodation' room for lots of people' cheap beer' step up the party capital of the world' coming soon.

With regard to the weather' I enjoy Benidorm in the winter without a thought for laying on a beach. Many people love a visit to Prague' again not to lay on the deck of a boat floating under Charles Bridge. Crisp sunny weather can't beat it' cheap flights too Sunny Beach in the winter' lots of accomodation' room for lots of people' cheap beer' step up the party capital of the world' coming soon.

There's still hope for Limerick as an international party capital so; it has everything that Sunny Beach has in wintertime, and its a lot easier to get to in wintertime.

I agree' Dublin has managed it' but you'll need a mac' a sizeable wallet' and imagination. Sunny beach only requires cheap flights' and good marketing. Blackpool and Benidorm can have Sept & Oct' Ibiza the summer' Sunny Beach Nov - Jan' Prague all year' Limerick July when the rain might stop.

My thoughts:

I am British but now live in Bulgaria and am involved in property sales and renovations, but mainly in central Bulgaria and more rural properties - not along the coast.

However, I first became involved around 3 years ago when I reserved an apartment in Bansko. This was through a very well known and London based agency who advertise heavily in national papers. Well after numerous problems I eventually attempted to pull out. It took me around a year and a court case later to get my money back based on misrepresentation. The main problem was not the developer but the agent.

However through visiting Bulgaria numerous times I met many friends here and now work with a small agency in Central Bulgaria.

I agree with the comments that places like Sunny Beach are frankly bloody awful , although popular with certain Brits, Russians and Germans. There is massive over supply, some poor planning and bad builds but there are also some very good smaller developers with lovely places away from the main over built area.

I have many friends that now live just outside Varna, many Brits have retired here or moved here to start a new life.

Bansko has been totally spoilt. It will never recover, the National park areas have been built on, no money has been put into extra sewerage, water or electric systems and so there will be trouble later. Talks of extending the ski area and opening an airport have been around for years and never happened. The old town is lovely but apartments are very expensive at more than you can pick up an apartment in Sofia or other cities for.

Rural properties have increased steadily in value over the last few years but nothing stupid like on the coast. For better value move inland or at least away from the main tourist areas. Many Bulgarians buy these properties for second homes and investment also. It is not just a British market.

It is true there are Japanese living in Kazanlak - not far from me. I also have heard Ryan Air will begin flights into Plovdiv - centrally located and good for Pamporova in winter and areas like Yambol, Elhovo, Stara Zagora etc popular with Brits.

Rachel

I also have heard Ryan Air will begin flights into Plovdiv - centrally located and good for Pamporova in winter and areas like Yambol, Elhovo, Stara Zagora etc popular with Brits.

Rachel

If I had a penny for every place that Ryanair are rumoured to be flying into, I would have enough to have my bags checked in for ever!

I might believe any of these rumours if I heard them from Ryanair; unfortunately many of them start with property salesmen. It comes next on the list to "I am buying one there myself", just above "you have to hurry, they are nearly all gone".

Can I ask Auto, did you once work as one of these salesmen, because the words used are very close to those I heard in Bulgaria over 18 months ago. Gives me the shivers.

No, never, and even if I had been tempted to get ino the selling game I don't think I would have stooped so low as to sell that stuff to anyone.

I have dealt with enough property salesmen in my time though to know the usual patter, regardless of country, which usually goes like this...

1. Ryanair are going to be flying in here next year.
2. They have applied for the winter olympics/summer olympics/european open etc.
3. This is the last one that faces west -- you get the evening sun.
4. This is the last one that faces south - you get the sun all day.
5. This is the last one that faces east -- you get the morning sun.
6. This is the last one that faces north -- you need to be facing north because the sun will roast you out of it in summer.
7. They are going up on Monday
8. They have gone up since yesterday, but you can have this one at the old price if you close today.
9. There is a 2 year rental guarantee on these.
10. The rent will pay the mortgage.
11. I am buying one of them myself.
12. All the lads in the office have bought one each.
13. The top floor is the best, you don't have to maintain a garden.
14. The ground floor is the best, you have the use of a garden.
15. I know that the ski season is short, but you can rent it out all summer as well.
16. I know the summer season is short, but it's only three hours from the ski slopes, you can rent it out to skiers as well.

Anyone want to add to that lot?

I'm going to sell many of my apartments in Marbella because the prospects are better here, with an emerging market and forthcoming EU entry.

Ah lads how could you forget the Tiger Woods designed golf course that is due to be built down the road, it's next door to the newly planned 5 star hotel and health spa.

now that xxxxx is a member of the eu prices are expected to rise fast.

The 'Developer' is keeping 10 units for himself :D ......( I've always luv' that one....I buy immediately whenever I hear it )

There is a new ski lift going in just 2 mins walk away
This resort has Gauranteed snow
XXXXX Tour operator will feature them in their 200x brochure-guaranteeing you rental income from the outset

The developer/selling agent/gardener is Irish.

My personal favourite I would encourage everyone to buy on that recommendation because it means everything is legit, probably at prices lower than the locals are paying and sure we wouldn't screw over one of our own :D

It's only €x00,000 ... sure, what would you get in Dublin for that these days?

(I love the way this patter presumes Dublin as some kind of international benchmark to which property prices the world over will eventually converge)

Great! Keep them coming!

Does "designed by John Rocca" (if I have the name right) fit on this list?

Great! Keep them coming!

Does "designed by John Rocca" (if I have the name right) fit on this list?

John Rocha - the fashion god from Dublin :)
I worked in the fashion industry for years, and Rocha was never taken very seriously (except in the UK - he was one time Designer of the Year)
Rocha is more & more becoming like Pierre Cardin, for a few eurocent, he would stick his name on everything (but of course Rocha's name never had the same global impact as Cardin & Co).

I'll be visiting 5-10 apartments next week (in Budapest). I'm sure to hear a lot of these sales boutades again :rolleyes:

now that xxxxx is a member of the eu prices are expected to rise fast.

and when xxxxxx is a member of the eu & prices mainly stay the same => they come with "now that xxxxx will join the eurozone
:rolleyes:

The craziest thing, it's mostly a wild guess.
In the case of Hungary I've heard already 2010, 11,12,13, 14 and counting
:)

UrbanDev: oddly enough since turkey were more or less given the bum's rush about 3/4 weeks ago their currency has strengthened by about 5%. but if they were ever to join the eu and then the eurozone no doubt about you would be correct.
another one:
development in this area is now strictly limited so this is a last chance to.........

Back