Who else thinks it's autumn already?

We don’t get hurricanes or tornados, or fires that burn us out of home, or earth quakes, just lots of water.
It does get depressing in the autumn though when it never stops raining with gales.

The days are getting shorter and you can notice it more when it is cloudy at night as the last of the sun cant break through it. Yeah the season is turning me thinks. However there is a reason for all this wet weather and its caused by jet streams high in the atmosphere. We have a polar stream that should be a this time of year to the north of scotland but is actually closer to the equator and hence riding over us. this just sends all the wet rain over us. It is thought that the stream is moving further north every year (apparantly 2kms every year just not this year or the last 2 years!!!) but during the so called summer months the tropical stream follows the suns path and the stronger rays of the sun. This in theory (well my theory anyway) should push the polar stream further north and then high pressure should build between the 2 and then we get some nice weather. if you go to wikipedia and search for jet stream it explains it quite well with diagrams.

It is depressing though, i would like to think of myself being the outdoors type, playing football 4 times a week and on other nice evenings walking but it just hasnt been possible over this month of july. August doesnt looke like its going to get any better too. I would happily have weather up to 30 degrees in the summer. people in the med countries and other hot places might not have light till 11pm at the height of summer but at least they can sit outside in the warmth of the day thats left.

I was standing at a bus stop at 10 o clock this morning and the street lights were on - in July?????

We have a polar stream that should be a this time of year to the north of scotland but is actually closer to the equator and hence riding over us. this just sends all the wet rain over us. It is thought that the stream is moving further north every year (apparantly 2kms every year just not this year or the last 2 years!!!) but during the so called summer months the tropical stream follows the suns path and the stronger rays of the sun. This in theory (well my theory anyway) should push the polar stream further north and then high pressure should build between the 2 and then we get some nice weather. if you go to wikipedia and search for jet stream it explains it quite well with diagrams.

V.interesting - and a remarkably unreliable weather system so it seems. A strongly symbolic statement of Autumn is the turning of the leaves. I heard that it's triggered when the amount of light starts to decrease and the trees get a signal through their leaves to start shedding.

individual leaves can die and fall off all the time, but the nerdy Autumn watcher award goes to the first person who spots a whole tree on the turn.

If it happens before the end of August, then we have proof that Autumnal weather has started early and we should be lobbying for a redefinition of that strange concept known as 'summer in Ireland'

Back