Paying large deposit by Credit card.

horatio1

We are about to purchase a staircase and have read the advice on AAM about paying large deposits by Credit card.Our problem is that the limit on our credit card limit would not cover the cost of the deposit.If we put cash onto our credit card to cover the cost and then pay by credit card are we still covered and what is the extent of the cover.

I would ask for an increase in the limit to cover the whole amount, otherwise I don't think you would be covered with the credit card is in 'credit'.

Check with the bank as I thought you are covered....was planning on doing the same myself so will have to put a call in to the bank tomorrow

let us know how you get on and which bank it is...I am planning on doing same for the large upfront windows deposit...!

thanks

A colleague of mine lost €1500 due to a company going into liquidation. He had paid by credit card and when he tried to claim he was told it wasn't possible.

Why don't you ask your supplier if you can pay less of a deposit. They won't want to lose the sale so they should be able to do something for you.

I also have to pay a large deposit and was wondering is credit card the best way, where do I find out further information?

I checked out comsumerconnect.ie

they state:-
If possible, pay by credit card or by laser card. If your card-issuer operates a chargeback scheme, you may be able to recover money paid to a trader who has gone out of business

I checked out Bank website but no details I will ring Bank in morning but you could be told over the phone yes and then when things go wrong they back down. Not very comforting.

<snip>
I will ring Bank in morning but you could be told over the phone yes and then when things go wrong they back down. Not very comforting.

Could I interject here and strongly suggest that you require the Bank to write to you confirming their final position [not any offer position that's subject to approval] having assessed your particular case, especially if what you require them to do is something that has to be confirmed by a referral to Head Office.

Also ask who will be processing your requirements as there may be several different departments which are not answerable to or for one another.

You should at least talk to somebody senior in the bank who cannot be overruled in the matter, assuming it doesn't require head office approval.

We were let down during the year after acting on a detailed offer from a bank employee in a particular department, which our bank failed to follow through on due to a head office refusal to proceed based on their new "tighter banking policy on lending".

There was no malice involved, and they were well within their rights, but it came as a bit of a shock when you're expecting one outcome and it turns out another way.

As it happens this may well work out for the best for us, but that's another story ;-)

I called the bank and they do have a chargeback dept, that has left me a little bit happier about putting the deposit on my CC but as ONG says I don't think anything is guaranteed unless you have it in writing. So I will keep my fingers crossed.

I called the bank and they do have a chargeback dept, that has left me a little bit happier about putting the deposit on my CC but as ONG says I don't think anything is guaranteed unless you have it in writing. So I will keep my fingers crossed.

I'm going to have to change that username :)

- onq, not ong

Back