Parked cars which obstruct both a footpath and cyclel lane.

greengrass64

Hi everyone.

Could any one advise on the following...

Is it ilegal to park a car partially on the footpath and a cycle lane ?
There are no yellow lines involved.
If it is ilegal, who has the legal duty to implement the relevant law?
Do they have any choice when they receive a report on this type of parking?

Town council?
Gardai?
Traffic warden does not have powers here i think.

Thanks for any replies

Technically speaking, its illegal to have the wheels of your car on the foothpath. Garda or traffic warden would implement it! Not sure what their choices are on actioning it, i would think they are obliged to!

Thanks.
I noticed the gardai often stop cars on the adjacent road for tax/insurance. They never seem to bother with these cars parked on the footpath. As a wheelchair user this parking blocks me going down the road, and forces me to try to get off the kerb.
It is very dangerous as i have to go on the road for a while.

Hi Tiger

I dont live in Dublin, but from your post I got to the rules of the road and discovered the cyclelane is a mandatory cycle lane.
A mandatory cycle track is bordered by a continuous white line on the righthand side. It is only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use it or park in it.

Now my next question is who will I report this to.
Do these offences attract penalty points?
I really would just like to get the few cars out of there and let them park nearby, as there is parking just up the road, where the cars would block no one

Thanks everyone

driving in a cycle lane was one of the newer penalty points offences. There's also the issue of the solid white line bordering this particular cycle lane (some cycle lanes have broken white lines).

The cycle lane i am concerned about has a solid white line on the right hand side of it and has a footpath on its left side. This apears to indicate it is classed as a mandatory cycle lane, ( ref rules of the road)

Could anyone quote the specific laws which refer to cycle lanes , parking etc,

Who decides where to put cycle lanes? Is it the town council, county council, road authority?

Thanks everyone.

I think I seem to have found the laws, at least there are some laws mentioned at the start of the rules of the road.

My next question is who decides where to put cycle lanes, is it at local level or at national level?

Thanks

Could anyone quote the specific laws which refer to cycle lanes , parking etc

If you had read the post that DavyJones specified, you would have found the law in question...

Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

Do a Google Search on the specific law if you need more info

The authorities have perverted this definition by publishing regulations which allow the law to apply on a part-time basis & for motorists to drive & stop in them at any time.

I thought this covered that.

I see people parking in cycle lanes all the time, especially in certain spots on my route. I've never seen a guard do anything about it, so I assumed thats the case. In one place out side a shop, (Kilmainham), there always cars in the lanes around there. Especially taxi's at shops the drivers run into the shop. Its awkward as the road is narrow and theres lots of traffic which you've got to move into.

The quite clearly state that you must not park on a cycle lane/track.

ROTR has been known to have several mistakes before, this could well be one of them. I'd trust the road traffic acts more.

OP cyclists have been trying for years to get the Gardai and DCC clampers to stop people parking on the footpath (blocking the left-side of the road) and on cycle lanes but without much success. If it happens a lot in your area, it might be worth talking to the gardai and local authority to ask for a little extra enforcement. It's not a solution but it's a start.

You can park in cycle lanes. You can't park on the pavement.

http://www.geocities.com/cyclopath2001/definitions.htm

That site is somewhat sarcastic about the attempts by Irish local authorities to create cycle paths.

As noted by other posters both the Rules of the Road and the Road Traffic Acts state that parking is not permitted in a mandatory cycle track.

Just because you've seen cars parked in a mandatory cycle track without any apprarent enforcement by the Gardai still does not make it right.

True. Be interesting to see some detail on that bit about local authorities changing the regulations/

Back