Shop is refusing a refund

maebee

On Saturday I bought a t-shirt (14.95) for my son which was too small for him. I brought it back to the shop yesterday, complete with tags & receipt and asked for a bigger size, which they didn't have. In fact they had no more t-shirts left in the shop. I asked for a refund but was told I wasn't entitled to one. The Assistant insisted on giving me a credit note, which I didn't want as they've very little stock in the shop. I wasn't sure of my entitlements and eventually accepted the credit note (unwillingly). Could anybody let me know of my rights on this one? Thanks.

You are not entitled to a refund just because you bought an item of clothing that is the wrong size but is otherwise fine. Some shops will give a refund or exchange as a gesture of goodwill but they are certainl not obliged to. They are not even obliged to give you a credit note so they are going beyond the statutory requirements in offering one. See www.consumerconnect.ie for more on your rights in such situations.

You have no rights or entitlements in this case.... even giving the credit note was byond what the shop had to do....

Except that almost all of the bigger stores will allow you to return an item and get a full refund provided you have the receipt, tags and it's in saleable condition - I guess we are used to this now and expect it everwhere.

Yip the shop only are only made by law to give you a refund if there is something wrong/faulty with what you bought.

There were being decent giving you a credit note in fairness to them

You can easily try on a T-shirt for size without a changing room. But in the general case I don't think that not having to offer an exchange/refund/credit note is contingent on them providing changing rooms so if you're not sure about things fitting then don't buy them.

Back