Interference from video sender on wireless network

ajapale

Ive just discovered that our tv video sender is interfering with our wireless network. The wireless signal would randomly fade and some times drop for a few seconds. The problem is solved when I turned off the video sender.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate the problem.

The router is a linksys WRG 54GS and band 802.11g, 2.462 GHz , channell no 11, and Im using WEP64 encryption.

In additon several of my close neighbours are now operating wireless networks how do I ensure that there is no interference with them?

Is there a way one can detect and dertermine what is causing interference in ones wireless network?

Is there anything I can do to mitigate the problem.
Yes. Also here. I think I may have posted even more detailed info on this specific issue in the past.
In additon several of my close neighbours are now operating wireless networks how do I ensure that there is no interference with them?
You have to try to choose a channel that is as free as possible. Note that only channels 1, 6 and 11 in 802.11b/g are (theoretically) non overlapping so you basically have three choices unless there are no other 2.4GHz devices within range (note that this includes microwave ovens, some cordless phones, some baby monitors, some video senders etc.). If your neigbours' WLANS and/or other 2.4GHz devices not under your control are hitting all three channels then you're basically stuck with the interference I'm afraid. This is one of the downsides of the increasing prevalence of WLANs! If you do find that your neighbours are all hitting the same channels then you could try asking each to reconfigure so that the bandwidth is shared more effectively. Chances are they will think you are some sort of geek though. :D
Is there a way one can detect and dertermine what is causing interference in ones wireless network?
Use NetStumbler to check what channels other wireless LANs are on (assuming that it will work OK with your specific wireless network adaptor) and then choose a free channel (1, 6 or 11) if possible and configure your video sender to use a frequency as far away from your choice as possible (which will probably hit your neighbours' LANs!). I think it's difficult to spot other non 802.11 sources of 2.4GHz interference without something like a spectrum analyzer (for [broken link removed] - I thought that this was a joke when I saw it first! :)).

Back