Why are some women rude?

no offence but it annoys me too when i hear people say "sorry" instead of "excuse me" - its a pet hate of mine. I am glad there are others out there thinkin the same thing...

no offence but it annoys me too when i hear people say "sorry" instead of "excuse me" - its a pet hate of mine. I am glad there are others out there thinkin the same thing...

im with you there nelly !! I really hate it when i hear people in restaurant or where ever saying sorry when they are looking for a staff members attention.. and now that we have a huge amount of foreign staff in restaurants and so on, they really dont understand us when we say "sorry" instead of "excuse me".

Some of my friends even say it when there abroad.. and they look they get is priceless.. as if to say, "what the hell are you saying sorry to me for??"

Ah yes, the old 'sorry, you're standing on my foot' syndrome...

I think it has a lot to do with 800 years of oppression, etc. ;)

im with you there nelly !! I really hate it when i hear people in restaurant or where ever saying sorry when they are looking for a staff members attention.. and now that we have a huge amount of foreign staff in restaurants and so on, they really dont understand us when we say "sorry" instead of "excuse me".

Some of my friends even say it when there abroad.. and they look they get is priceless.. as if to say, "what the hell are you saying sorry to me for??"

Incidentally, if "sorry" is wrong, why would you use "excuse me" to a waitress unless you burped or farted ? :confused:

Last week, I was demonstrating something to a group of adults - mostly females. At the end of the demonstration, one of the females decided to go back to her postion while sitting on an office chair. I wasn't paying attention until I heard somebody say "Mind her coat".

I turned around and this woman was sitting on an office chair railroading it past my chair and unfortunately my new coat was hanging on the back of the chair. I saw that the castor was stuck on the hem of my coat as she continued to hoosh her chair beyond it. I said, "Please be careful with my coat". Her reply was, "What's your problem, it's not like I intended to do it". When she returned to her position, she began to laugh (albeit quietly, but it's hard to ignore shoulders moving up and down.)

it took me about 3 days to get over this naked aggression. [Ok, I'm still not completely over it and the (minor) damage to my coat is a reminder!]

Marion

Even though I always do it, sometimes it can be better not to hold a door open for someone.

Yesterday, I was exiting the train station and when passing through the door, glanced behind to see if anyone was following me (so that I'd hold the door for them). There was a little old lady about 10 paces behind me. If I had let the door shut, it wouldnt have slammed in her face since she was too far away, but since she seemed frail and it was a very heavy door, I held it, to wait until she'd get there.
But the poor woman broke into a laboured trot, so as not to hold me up I suppose. I felt so bad, since she was using a stick to walk aswell. In that occasion it would have been better to have let the door shut, and she could have walked up to it in her own time.

(It wasnt my day yesterday - helping another woman with her suitcase, the handle came off in my hand!).

(It wasnt my day yesterday - helping another woman with her suitcase, the handle came off in my hand!).

Reminds me of the time I opened one side of the heavy double doors for a blind man on his way into Mass. I informed him that I had the door for him - turned around to see if his path would be clear after going in the door - and turned back in time to see him walk headlong into the other door. :eek:

Put a woman in a uniform, Garda or Customs are the worst, very unreasonable, it's like they are trying to prove something

Here,here. I have yet to hear 'excuse me' in rural Ireland. It's either 'sarrrry', say nothing or plain rudeness.:rolleyes:

well you need to get to grips with Hiberno-Irish then ya reptile!

Last week, I was demonstrating something to a group of adults - mostly females. At the end of the demonstration, one of the females decided to go back to her postion while sitting on an office chair. I wasn't paying attention until I heard somebody say "Mind her coat".

I turned around and this woman was sitting on an office chair railroading it past my chair and unfortunately my new coat was hanging on the back of the chair. I saw that the castor was stuck on the hem of my coat as she continued to hoosh her chair beyond it. I said, "Please be careful with my coat". Her reply was, "What's your problem, it's not like I intended to do it". When she returned to her position, she began to laugh (albeit quietly, but it's hard to ignore shoulders moving up and down.)

it took me about 3 days to get over this naked aggression. [Ok, I'm still not completely over it and the (minor) damage to my coat is a reminder!]

Marion

I think she was beyond rude, just downright nasty if you ask me.

What about the , now standard, question from shop assistants
Are yah all right?
rather than what they should be saying, that is
May I help you?
In answer to the first quoestion I normally answer "I'm fine, thanks!"

Although slightly off topic aren't these terms just colloquialisms? I never understand 'amn't I' makes no sense to me but isn't it just an Irish thing? As for the sorry and excuse me, the continent uses please for everything. When that is used in an english context it sounds plain rude.

Down in M&S in Blackrock yesterday. Full of the Irish 60+ wife with the retired plank of a husband walking behind his wife, slight awkward smile on his face, with his hands in his pockets while she chooses the groceries. We really didn't need him blocking the aisles. Please leave him at home. Oh! and ladies, you don't park your trolley next to where the staff are packing the shelves with their trolleys. Finally when you get to the checkout please place the "next customer" sign between your groceries and the next person's groceries.

Well to the original poster maybe because you are a woman other women may not be as polite to you as men. Generally i think men will be do a little hat doffing to women especially if the women is young and attractive. Then these women take it for granted and are then not as polite to both men and women because it is something they are used to, they are probably not aware of it. In my experience as women get older there manners improves and they become more pleasent, generally in my experience older women are the most polite and pleasant. Also Ive noticed that as men move up the career ladder they can become more bitchy and bad mannered (the golf club fraternity).

Down in M&S in Blackrock yesterday. Full of the Irish 60+ wife with the retired plank of a husband walking behind his wife, slight awkward smile on his face, with his hands in his pockets while she chooses the groceries. We really didn't need him blocking the aisles. Please leave him at home. Oh! and ladies, you don't park your trolley next to where the staff are packing the shelves with their trolleys. Finally when you get to the checkout please place the "next customer" sign between your groceries and the next person's groceries.

Are you an employee in M&S or a customer?

Why should a 60+ person not browse in a shop the same as anybody else?

Have you never had problems with buggies and unruly children?

Enjoy your shopping and if everything is not going your way blame someone else.

The obvious example for me is when I'm driving. There is no way in hell a woman will let me out, but a man will... I actually put this down to women being bad drivers (!!!) they are unaware of anyone else on the road, they just look ahead and do what they want to do. This includes not being aware the mirrors on their cars are not just for putting on make-up!!

In general, I think men are more reasonsble than women. I do think women are wonderful things though...

/not really a sexist
//just happen to think women are terrible drivers

And Express tills are exactly that. Express! Baskets of usually 10 items or less....not for a fully loaded trolley.

...and when the cashier has scanned your goods and told you how much you owe, this is not the time for taking out the purse.

Cash/Card should be in hand ready to be handed over before it's asked for. Mostly perpertrated by women. Does my head in.

Back