Looking for a six port broadband router/modem

Ron Burgundy

i currently have a 4 port from eircom but am finishing my house and between, sonos, xbox and network i'll need 6 ports. I've had a look around but can't find what i want, any help would be great ( not wireless if you can i hate it )

Why not just chain another (e.g. 4 port) hub onto the existing router thus expanding your LAN capacity for more hosts?

Why do you "hate" wireless?!

i rather the wired system, it always works and i don't have to worry about others using my network.

plus the wireless modem interfers with the video sender we use at the mo and i have to listen to mrs burgundy compain about it.

i rather the wired system, it always works and i don't have to worry about others using my network.
A properly secured wireless network will significantly mitigate the risks of this happening.
plus the wireless modem interfers with the video sender we use at the mo and i have to listen to mrs burgundy compain about it.
We have video senders at home and I tuned them to channel "D" (not sure if these channels are standardised and it's difficult to establish the precise frequency used by many video sender channels) and my wireless LAN to channel 1 so that each are at different ends of the 2.4GHz spectrum and they don't interfere too much with each other. When both are in or around the same frequency (e.g. channel D and channel 11) then you can certainly see the interference!

Anyway - if you don't want/need wireless that's fair enough. What about my hub connected to the router suggestion?

yeah that would work me thinks, no video senders in new place, all hard wired so no problems i hope.

The 4 ports on the front of your router are almost certainly 100Mbps. If you tie a simple unmanaged 10/100 switch to one of these ports that should solve your problem. Here's an example product:

[broken link removed]

You mention a Sonos audio system and I guess this is primarily LAN traffic. I would suggest putting all the Sonos ports on the new switch - this will optimise latency in the network.

Your network topology should look as follows:

DSL
|
---------------------------------------
Modem
Ports 1 and 2 connected to PC and XBOX
Port 3 spare
Port 4 connected to new switch
|
10/100 Ethernet switch
Port 1 connected to modem
Ports 2-5 connected to Sonos
Port 6-8 spare
----------------------------------------

This leaves you 4 spare ports for furture use.

[broken link removed] currently have an [broken link removed] for €20 including VAT.

Back