Tips for white leather suites

ciara_gmail

I've put a deposit on a white leather suite at the weekend and puchased a leather protection and cleaning kit which includes a Ink Away stick for biro marks. Any other tips for looking after a white suite? Was told by a friend to be careful of sitting on it with denim on as colours can fade on to the couch - anyone hear of this before? We don't have any kids so will just be myself and the OH! All thoughts appreciated.

Re: Tips for white leater suites

Hi Ciara,

I was considering buying a white leather sofa too, but am being talked out of it by a lot of people. Remarks that mirror your concerns such as denim and other colours fading onto the sofa seem to be mentioned regularly.

I like the look of white as it portrays cleanliness and gives the impression of having more space, but I'm now erring back towards tan or chocolate brown. I just don't want to have a multi-coloured sofa in 6 months time or to ask people to remove their jeans before sitting down :D!!!

Hope this helps and best of luck with your decision.

I've put a deposit on a white leather suite at the weekend and puchased a leather protection and cleaning kit which includes a Ink Away stick for biro marks. Any other tips for looking after a white suite? Was told by a friend to be careful of sitting on it with denim on as colours can fade on to the couch - anyone hear of this before? We don't have any kids so will just be myself and the OH! All thoughts appreciated.

I have a white leather suite and all you've heard about denim is true I'm afraid. It does wash off though. Dove soap is good if you run out of cleaner. I'm told it also moisturises the leather. I've used it and it works just as well as the expensive leather cleaning pack. Just rub small amount onto a damp cloth. I imagine too much water would ruin the couch. We have ours about 7 years now but staining is a pain.

I have a cream leather couch and I have never had problems with denim!

I have a cream leather couch and I have never had problems with denim!

It's not all denim, it's particularly bad with the dark blue denim, you know the ones that say wash seperately. It leaves a dirty sheen and where there's a crease in the leather, it leaves a blue line!:eek:

Also you need to be careful with cushions. If you are buying dark ones, you should wash the covers first to get rid of some of the dye. I had wine cushions on my cream leather sofa and learned the hard way. Apart from that, once you use the cleansers regularly, its not that difficult to maintain.

. Dove soap is good if you run out of cleaner. I'm told it also moisturises the leather. .

This is true, it works on my mother-in-laws face and that's like leather :D

Use a throw when you have visit's on your suite,

i have a cream leather suite and no major problems with it. Have the cleaning kit and every so often just give it a quick clean. No stains on it and as the colour is so light you can see a stain as soon as it appears and clean it off before it dries. My sitting room is not huge and the light coloured sofas really give an impression of space. Plus with cream/ white as opposed to darker ones you're not as stuck with changing colours in the room as any colour will match

We also have a cream leather couch, and a 2 yr old. Have had no problems with cushions/jeans/2 yr olds, but watch the ink dye from paper, apparently very hard to remove.
We've used the leather cleaning kit, maybe twice since we moved in last Jan, also use the leather conditioner, as my mothers leather couch has started cracking after 5 years.

hi there i have just brought a cream leather sofa and im finding dye is leaking on to it from somewhere! im guessing my jeans and my daughters, we both live in jeans!!!! any ideas how to get it out? ive tried soapy water and that isn't working! any help wld be greatly appreciated as i only got it a month ago and i feel as tho its ruined already!!!
Thanks

I have just been given a light cream (almost white) Leather suite from my mum, which is about 6 years old and it's still in brand new condition. My mum has been through all the stains and everything normal family life brings, Split Spaggetti, paint, ink, newspaper print, Jeans colour transfer but she always looked after it with regular cleaning it was no bother. Im glad to say that my 'new' suite has no cracks or marks on it. My mum always swore by toothpaste!!! yep toothpaste for everything. Just rub it straight onto the leather and leave for about 3 mins then wipe off with a damp cloth, it lifts every type of stain!!! and you can use any type of toothpaste. I always keep a cheap tube under my sink. You can then go over it with your leather cleaner to get that nice new shine back!!! It's always good to get it professionly cleaned every 2 years, they can get into all the little nooks and crannys!!! Thanks mum!!! (for saving me a fortune!!!! ha ha)

Back