Parkview, Stepaside

Status
Not open for further replies.
On city centre versus Stepaside debate from an investment point of view - you have to factor in lifestyle. Some facts:

- apart from city centre, Sandyford/Leopardstown has the highest population of commuting workers in the country. Also, it's population is growing and some of the largest property investments are being made in the area - e.g. Beacon. Park View in Stepaside is less than 10 minutes drive from that centre.
- Park View is also approx 10 minutes drive from Dundrum Town Centre - the largest retail centre in Ireland. I don't mean to sound like the stereotypical 30 something yuppie that I am - but I don't want to shop in the Ilac Centre, Stephen's Green or Jervis street! As for buying fresh produce - I'd rather go to M&S in Dundrum, or the farmers market at Leopardstown rather than Moore street.
- Park View is approx 5 minutes from both Northbound and Southbounds exits on the M50 - Dublin's busiest road servicing the majority of the city
- Park View is also about 10 minutes drive from some of the most beautiful scenery in the Dublin mountains, e.g. Kippure
- The proposed route for The Luas will be going via Murphystown Road, Ballyogan, Stepaside, and then Cherrywood
- some people think that "just having the village pub" is a good thing (actually there are two pubs, The Step Inn and The Mountain View. If we want a change, well we can pop down to Leopardstown, Dundrum, or other "mountain pubs" such as Blue Light, Johnny Foxes, Lamb Doyles, or Palmers.
- what Stepaside doesn't have that the city centre has is junkies, litter, homeless and needles lying about the place. Also, we don't have the polution both air, water and noise.
- Stepaside is approx 15 minutes drive from Enniskerry - often referred to as the "gateway to Wicklow"
- at present, let's face it - most of us drive - and fully intend on doing so in the foreseeable future. On the rare occasion I actually want to go into the city centre - I drive to the Luas, and ditch my car overnight. It's not a problem.
- I don't doubt that there are excellent investments to be made in the new docklands - however, it's a lifestyle choice for the buyer / renter. For the same price as a 40 sq m apartment in the docklands you could buy a 95 sq m apartment in Park View - including one free parking space! Do you really want to live in a noisy, smoggy city - or would you prefer a location that has the best of both worlds - town and country?
- when push comes to shove - it's all about supply and demand. 3 bed semis are usually in highest demand - however if it's a choice between a tiny bacherlor pad in town versus large apartments in the suburbs - the latter is open to a greater pool of potential buyers (singles, couples, and possibly couples with small kids) - and that's what will survive the inevitable cooling in the property market.

Regards,
Rob

Very well said Rob! U should get a job with Hooke+MacD! In relation to the shop situation I see An Bord Pleanala has granted planning permission for the village centre at Mountainview Pitch and Putt.

I heard that before - but later heard on this bulletin board that planning was rejected. Has this now been reversed?

Yep, decision has now been reversed - anyone hear anything back about the skirting boards? Also, another point - there is a school which is being built in Bellarmine - I'm sure the Council wouldn't have planned a school in the area if there was inadequeat public transport.

southsideboy said:
well don't think anyone asked for your opinion capricorn. lol.

ok i'll wait for an invitation next time.

the latter is open to a greater pool of potential buyers (singles, couples, and possibly couples with small kids) - and that's what will survive the inevitable cooling in the property market.

- not from my point of view, rental on 3 bed penthouses does not justify the cost especially when compared to rent in 1/2 beds. if/when the market cools city centre properties will be much better able to retain value and rents.

comments about not buying an investment property in town because of
junkies are silly.

The areas that would stand up the best in the event of the market cooling would undoubtedly be Dublin 4 and Dublin 6. Dublin 6 would be my first choice for a property as its where my family home is and hopefully I will get a pad there one day when I have the cash. But in the mean time, I think buying in an area like Stepaside which is a middle class safe area with a mix of good sized houses and apartments and an area where lots of money is being pumped in to improve the infrastructure is a more sound investment than buying in a "rejuvenated area" in the city centre where although the dodgy buildings are being replaced with shiny new ones (containing tiny apartments), the drug problems, high crimes levels and air pollution will still exist. Thats not the type of place I want to live. You have to remember who are buying in a lot of the new developments in the city centre: landlords. And the only reason a lot of these are buying there is for section 23 relief. In the future when the tax relief is gone then demand will fall too. In the likes of Stepaside the majority of purchasers are middle class owner occupiers. And as transport links such as the LUAS improve demand will increase further. I agree with you that rental returns might be higher in the city centre but as I say in a scheme like Parkview the vast majority of purchasers would be owner-occupiers. In terms of capital appreciation Dublin 18 and South Co. Dublin have generally risen faster than D1/2/8 in the past and I would expect that trend to continue as transport links to the suburbs improve. I have a lot of family who are in the property business and I reckon I know a lot about it myself and I definitely think that in terms of capital appreciation for the future Stepaside is an extremely good buy. I really don't see how you think comments people made about junkies are silly. Maybe I had some sort of sheltered upbringing but I really don't like the idea of living in an area (like most of the city centre) where there is a drug problem.

All this talk about the drug problem. It makes me laugh. Has nobody noticed that Ireland is in the 21st century. Every city and suburb in Ireland has some level of drugs going through it. Not everyone is caught up in it but to some degree there is definitely drugs running through each town, village and suburb. It doesn't matter whether its D1, D4, D18 or D24 its there and its being used by the very people you wouldn't expect. So unless you lock yourself away in self-sufficient little bubble hovering above Dublin you will not escape coming into contact with drug users. Its your neighbour, your cousin maybe even your siblings!

sukie said:
All this talk about the drug problem. It makes me laugh. Has nobody noticed that Ireland is in the 21st century. Every city and suburb in Ireland has some level of drugs going through it. Not everyone is caught up in it but to some degree there is definitely drugs running through each town, village and suburb. It doesn't matter whether its D1, D4, D18 or D24 its there and its being used by the very people you wouldn't expect. So unless you lock yourself away in self-sufficient little bubble hovering above Dublin you will not escape coming into contact with drug users. Its your neighbour, your cousin maybe even your siblings!

I'm not as naive as to think that drugs don't affect all parts of the country and cross all social boundaries but all I'm saying is that there are certain areas that have known drug problems and I don't want to live in those areas. I won't name anywhere in particular but we all know of places where around every corner there are gangs of skangers walking around like zombies looking for their next fix. Thats not the type of place that I would choose to live. Unfortunetly a lot of people have no choice but to live in those areas. But buying in a lot of the city centre is unique in that u pay a premium for the convenience of living in the city but yet are living alongside some of Ireland's most deprived communities where there are very serious drug problems. Personally i don't think the convenience aspect wins out. I just don't think that I'd encounter half as many junkies walking around completely out of it in Stepaside as I would in inner city areas. I feel quite safe living where I live now and I'd like to continue that way when I move to Stepaside.

Sorry to move away from the current topic but does anyone know if the roof gardens will cover the entire roof or will it just be part? And also will access to the roof be possible from both ends of the building or just one end.
I'm not sure if anyone can answer that, I guess as soon as the first people start to move in, we'll learn a lot. Don't forget about us all you from phase one :)

nryan, if you have a look here you can see where the roof gardens will be [broken link removed]

Just joining in on the banter - good to get all the info on what's goin on around in the area. I presume the roof garden in the Elm runs the entire length of building and not just that tiny bit of it on that plan? If we're to have any decent apartment block warming - we'd need the entire area of the roof right?! :confused:

The roof garden is the same in the Elm as far as I know. When I was looking at the plans for the Elm I noticed that in order for me to get to the roof garden I'd have to go outside and through another entrance or all the way down to the basement car park and up another lift. Did anybody else notice that they would have the same problem or have I just not figured out an alternative route?! My apartment is on the opposite side of the building to the roof garden.

As for all the nonsense about drugs, agreed I think we should cut that out. We'll just say I was right and leave it at that.

Hi all

I've banned jonnyha for his latest comments (which have been removed).

If people don't like the Posting Guidelines or the moderation on AAM, they are welcome to find another site that may suit their sense of humour or views.

Hi all,

Apols for my previous comment (which I see was removed) regarding the drugs conversation - however I agree that is irrelevant, let's move on.

Regarding roof-top garden, yes as you can see from the penthouse plan - it is only at one end of the building, and access is I believe just from one lift-shaft. So for those of us in the other end of the building - yes I think we'll have to go outside, or access via the car park.

Regards,
Rob

I have also called Flemming Construction regarding the skirting boards issue. It was explained that as the units arrive as prefabricated pods - the skirting boardds are nailed down. So it looks like when it comes time for the floors to be put down, the skirting boards will either have to be replaced or we will be charged for them to be taken off by the fitters (presuming you will have a company installing the floors for you). Perhaps someone could shed light on the process? I am also a little concerned about the noise issue - I hope what separates these pods are insulated, reinforced, and sound-proofed. Anyone know a little more on how these "pods" are layed down?

By the way - apparently it should be H&M handling such queries - the skirting board issue I mean. Flemming were helpful, but apparently they have been receiving quite a few of these calls recently, perhaps due to this very informative, long-overdue forum.

What do people think of compiling a list of questions and submit them as a group to H&M? Might have more of an impact?

Outlay?

Hi guys,

great to see a thread about Parkview.

I'm a first-time buyer and I've put a deposit on a two-bed in The Cedar. I'm just curious as to how much the outlay from the solicitor should come to. In particular the Land Registry Fee.

If anyone could shed any light on how much the outlay should come to I'd be very grateful. I assume it should be the same or very similar for all the units.

Thanks

Oh yes, I also emailed H&MacD about the floors in the bathroom and they told me they would be tiled as per the show unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back