>>Scams to look out for

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spanish Lottery

This one is a beaut.

It's far easier to believe that you have won the lottery than some dodgy foreigner looking for your help in getting illegal millions out of the country.

I was particularly impressed about having to ring the premium rate number in Spain. They get you everyway

[broken link removed]

Murt

[broken link removed]
World web page directory looks like a bill, pure scam destroy on sight.

www.sms.ac Dont go near this website, you sign up for free text messages and then months later they start sending you unwanted texts and charge you each time and when you try and unsubscrube following their instructions it doesnt work I have reported them to the regulator regtel.ie. I had to change my sim card because of them stealing from me. Luckily for me I'm stingy and never have much credit so they couldnt steal from me at times (when I had no credit) Beware of them I only realised when I cheked my credit one day

Recieved this email today. Have not clicked on the link. Am wondering if anyone else got it or know what its about.

Dear Chase Manhattan's Bank Customer,

This is your official notification from Chase Manhattan Bank that the service(s)

listed below will be deactivated and deleted if not renewed immediately.
Previous notifications have been sent to the Billing Contact assigned to
this account. As the Primary Contact, you must renew the service(s) listed
below or it will be deactivated and deleted

SERVICE: Chase Manhattan Bank Online Banking
® SecureCode
EXPIRATION: April 15 2006

<spam link removed by ClubMan>

Sincerely,
Chase Manhattan Bank Account Review Department.

================================================================

IMPORTANT CUSTOMER SUPPORT INFORMATION
This Alert was sent according to your settings (xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com). ================================================================

Need help? Use "Site Helper"
or call customer service at 1.800.788.7000.

Please do not "Reply" to this Alert.

©2006
Chase Manhattan Bank Financial Group. All rights reserved

Do not click on the link. If you do then they will know that your address is active and you will get lots more.

heard about this on the radio this morning http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0421/dublin.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gardaí are investigating a scam in which up to 30 people were conned out of an estimated €35,000 by a man letting an apartment. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The fully furnished apartment in Ballsbridge had been advertised on the letting website Daft.ie. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Several people attended an open viewing in the apartment on Good Friday and 30 different people paid over the deposit of €1,150 and a month's rent in advance.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They were all then given a set of keys. However, when some 15 couples tried to move in to their new home earlier this week the keys did not work. [/FONT]

Several people attended an open viewing in the apartment on Good Friday and 30 different people paid over the deposit of €1,150 and a month's rent in advance.

Would I be right in guessing that the deposit would be a months rent, and that would mean rent in Ballsbridge would be the €1150?

Does that fall into the "if it's too good to be true, it normally is" category?

Further info on bank draft scam here.

Be wary of accepting bank drafts as payment when selling goods and never accept a draft for more than you are asking for if the buyer expects you to give them the difference in cash.

In response to a reference to "charity bags" left in your front door (first page of this thread)We get these bags dropped in daily,either on their own or with stickers to attach to the bag.I regularly put out stuff for them as they tell me I'm giving to the "homeless,people in Chernobyl,Rwandans" etc etc,.I spoke to a friend of mine the other day however who works for the charity Enable Ireland who told me that the majority of these are bogus and will take the clothes,shoes etc and sell them "as new" in places like Russia at exorbitant prices.These people also go around lifting bags from outside houses that were intended for genuine charities like Enable who rely on public donations.They take them in the middle of the night.
It has deterred me from filling these bags in future.Anyone else know anything about it?

Even the ones that are genuine are causing problems to the economy of the areas to which the clothes are being taken. Saw a TV show on it some time ago. Many families that derived an income from making and selling cheap clothes are being put out of business.

Text spam

This may not be the correct thread to post this, but everytime I get a 'you've won a camera / holiday / etc' text now I just forward it onto Vodafones spam number (i assume each provider has one), at 50005.
I usually get a text back immediately saying they will investigate....

Brendan, do contributors of all quoted posts get a slice of the appearance fee from yesterday?:p

I recently advertised my car for sale on a genuine site . I actually advertised it for much more than it was worth! Anyway I got this reply form a guy in France who wants my car! It seems all abit weird to me and below you can see what he more or less wants me to do...
Hello,
Thank for your mail, i am okay with the price which is(11,000€), This is how i will want us to seal the transaction cos i dont want any delay at all. So all i am going to do is to contact my associate in the state to issue you a cheque of (16,800€ ) which will be for both the shipping and your own money So all i will want you to do when you recieve the payment is that you will deduct your own money 11,000€ and then you will send the remaining shipping funds through VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER to my inetrnational shipping agent who will be coming over to your destination for the pick up of the CAR, Thia ia highly on Trust, but i believe i can trust you with my money ok, Once my shipper recieves the money he will come over to your location for the pick up, now the money wired to the shipper is his fees for his services, transportation to your location and back to me, also for all charges that may arise along this transaction cos i will want it to be delivered to me safe and sound without problems, i shall send you my shipper address which you will use in sending the funds to him ok.

So if this is okay by you, i will like you to kindly get back to me with your contact information like this:
Name:
Address:
State:
Zip Code:
Tell Phone,Both the Cell Phone and the Office or Home Number: which my Bussiness Associate will use in sending the Check Payment to you Via courier service ok,Thanks and God Bless you,
I'll be waiting for your favourable respones.
Regards,
Mark.

N/B...........I will like you to remove the advert you placed on the website so that you will receive no more offers ok.

Now then dodgy or what??? Obviously i won't be going through with it!!! J

i have thrown away millions in winnings from these sharks over the years

Got this today:

Father Alex McAllister, SDS
Church of Christ the King
11 Castle Street,
Thornbury,
South Gloucestershire,
BS35 1HA,
Telephone: 07031837790
Dear "Slim"
Greetings from Gloucestershire, England!
On behalf of the Trustees and Executors of the late British Prime,
Sir Edward Richard George Heath, KG I once again try to notify you
as our letter to you by the lawyer through the post were
returned undelivered, hence I hereby attempt to reach you via your
e-mail address.
I wish to notify you that the late Sir Edward Heath made you a
beneficiary to his (will), he bequeathed the sum of Seven Hundred
and Fifty Thousand United States Dollars Only (US$750,000.00), to
you in the codicil and last testament to his (will).

It goes on and asks for phone nos. fax etc. OBVIOUS SCAM. I hardly knew the late Sir Edward!

Slim

I wish to notify you that the late Sir Edward Heath made you a
beneficiary to his (will), he bequeathed the sum of Seven Hundred
and Fifty Thousand United States Dollars Only (US$750,000.00), to
you in the codicil and last testament to his (will).
That was nice of him! :D

Possibly not the correct forum, be we've gotten 2 x missed calls and a hang up as soon as we answered from a Nigerian phone number in the past 2 days. As we have no family / friends or even enemies over there, I'm wondering if this is a missed call scam for some sort of international premium rate scam?
Anyone else getting Saturday morning calls from Nigeria at 06:50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back