Gold shield electric heating?

messyleo

just wondering what people's experiences of this type of heating are in terms of heat given out and cost as im used to ofch, but am looking at a new house with electric heating.

thanks a lot:)

Electric heating is the most expensive way of heating a home. See .And electric magnetic fields can cause health demages,the stronger-the more likely, but even low powers can have a damaging potential. See http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/330/7503/1290?...
And check the web, here at AAM the issue had been dealt with as well, see the "sticky" posts.

Oil and Gas aren't cheap.
The benefit of electric for me is that it is on only when I want it, not all the time. I've got a modern well insulated apartment so it doesn't cost a huge amount to heat but electricity should still be cheaper than it is.
I go though most of the year without heating as the apartment would be too warm with it. No servicing costs.
If it is a small town house you are looking at you won't be disappointed with electricity. If it is a larger house and they are putting in electric because it is the cheapest option then look elsewhere.

heinbloed said:
EAnd electric magnetic fields can cause health demages,the stronger-the more likely, but even low powers can have a damaging potential. See http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/330/7503/1290?...
That paper posits a correlation between EM fields and childhood cancers in that spseific trial. It says absolutely nothing about causality (my highlighting):
Conclusions

There is an association between childhood leukaemia and proximity of home address at birth to high voltage power lines, and the apparent risk extends to a greater distance than would have been expected from previous studies. About 4% of children in England and Wales live within 600 m of high voltage lines at birth. If the association is causal, about 1% of childhood leukaemia in England and Wales would be attributable to these lines, though this estimate has considerable statistical uncertainty. There is no accepted biological mechanism to explain the epidemiological results; indeed, the relation may be due to chance or confounding.
gravitygirl - I previously posted a summary of the electricity running cost for our three bed, terraced, townhouse (c. 90sqm), Goldshield home (NightSaver storage and water heating and electric cooker and kitchen appliances are the main loads - with a small amount of supplemental electric heating using an oil filled electric heater since baby arrived a few months ago) for the past 10 years or so. This is available here and I will try to update it for the last year or so when I get a chance. The spike in May 2005 may have been due to arrears on that bill - I need to go back and check and update the spreadsheet.

A builders who gets a brick on his hard hat doesn't ask for the causuality.It hurts, propably kills him.
Running electric cables ouside the house (walls are shielding to some extend) or INSIDE the house next to the bed -the storage heater runs at night time - makes a huge, even more negative difference.
Since we spend most of our time INSIDE we shouldn't get the negative impacts from the ouside world inside as well. And only because some homeowners/sellers are trying to protect the retail value of their assets we shouldn't ignore what's obvious.
A kilowat to heat the home is a kilowatt . And each kilowatt costs money. Electricity is the most expensive way to get a kilowatt into the home. And costs for nightsaver tariffs are increasing disproportional compared to the general tariffs. Check the various supliers of electricity(ESB,Energia,Airtricity) and ask them about this fact, this trend hasn't finished yet. No matter how big or small the home is.
The more of the old power plants are closing down the more expensive the "nightsaver" will become. And they have to close down due to CO2 emissions and market forces.

heinbloed said:
Running electric cables ouside the house (walls are shielding to some extend) or INSIDE the house next to the bed -the storage heater runs at night time - makes a huge, even more negative difference.
Not necessarily even according to that report above. Don't dismiss the common confusion of correlation and causality so lightly. The former does not necessarily imply the latter.
And only because some homeowners/sellers are trying to protect the retail value of their assets we shouldn't ignore what's obvious.
What homeowners/sellers? Not me in case that's the insinuation. Please note that I have already published my home energy cost data above for objective assessment and to hopefully assist others who might be buying a similar home to get an idea of the costs. At least this is more constructive in the context of the original query than telling porkies about the supposed dangers of Electro Magnetic Fields (EMFs).

I have nothing to hide and don't really care what the market value of my home is so I have no vested interest here. Maybe electricity is more expensive than other options for home heating. I don't really know. I don't care either if some people assume that EMFs are harmful and this affects their view of the value of my home.

However I do care when people promulgate unbased and ignorant assertions about the dangers of EMFs when even the papers that they quote don't support their arguments.

It is obvious that a kilowatt to heat a home is a kilowatt. It's not obvious that EMFs are harmful to humans.

We heard this argument from the tabacco industry, the tobacco retailers and the smokers: It is not obvious that smoking is harmful to human beeings.
But it was tested on animals and proofen there.The costs of ignoring obvious facts are a wider issue than just the costs of the fags or the kilowatts seen on them self.

To be fair: all is not yet lost for electrical storage heating.
I checked the web a bit and came along the home page of "bine" - a German gouvernment web page. They describe a new method of using metall to shield against electro magnetic fields AND keeping the thermal conductivity of a heater/radiator. The material is called "foamed metall" and it has both: electromagnetic shielding as well as thermal conductivity. And it is lightweight. I only found a German pdf page, but with a translation programm it shouldn't be to difficult to extract at least the facts out of it. It sems interesting enough, at least for those who are in the business: [broken link removed]
A pity that the material isn't marketed as yet, a business idea?

heinbloed said:
We heard this argument from the tabacco industry, the tobacco retailers and the smokers: It is not obvious that smoking is harmful to human beeings.
But it was tested on animals and proofen there.The costs of ignoring obvious facts are a wider issue than just the costs of the fags or the kilowatts seen on them self.
Builders being killed by falling masonry and smokers suffering from health problems attributable to smoking have absolutely nothing to do with this matter and mentioning them is just obfuscating the issue. There is no point in asserting that there is a causal link between EMFs and health problems when even the literature alluded to does not support this argument. Simply asserting something and repeating it again and again does not make it true. If there is any objective evidence that supports a causal link then feel free to post it. Otherwise don't expect people to take it as given.

Since the original poster asked a straight question about the (presumably financial) cost GoldShield electric heating perhaps discussion of the alleged related health risks should be taken to this thread instead?

ClubMan said:
gravitygirl - I previously posted a summary of the electricity running cost for our three bed, terraced, townhouse (c. 90sqm), Goldshield home (NightSaver storage and water heating and electric cooker and kitchen appliances are the main loads - with a small amount of supplemental electric heating using an oil filled electric heater since baby arrived a few months ago) for the past 10 years or so. This is available here and I will try to update it for the last year or so when I get a chance. The spike in May 2005 may have been due to arrears on that bill - I need to go back and check and update the spreadsheet.
I have updated my spreadsheet/chart to bring it up to January 2006. I still want to go back and double check some data and identify which were estimated bills and which were based on meter readings. Another night's work... :)

A watt is a unit of electrical power so the argument that electricity is the most expensive way to get one doesn't make sense.

The EMF issue seems a little bazaar, TV, radio, microwave, GSM (mobiles) and a degree of natural radiation bombards us irrespective of our personal switch positions.

If we want to be immunized then we can all climb into a lead shield, and it's a great conductor of heat. Just don't touch the lead, it's poisonous.

Personally, I DESPISE electric storage heating. I'll be very happy in my gas heated house, until there's a leak and I'll wake up dead.

Back