Rip Offs

Re: Rip Offs - weekly bin tags

hotlips said:
You should be able to put out your trash less often by reducing, re-using and recycling and thus pay much less than 6 euro per week.
Yeah - we have been composting kitchen waste and disposing of plastics/bottles/etc. at the local Bring centre for years now. Combined with the monthly Oxigen green bag collection (paper, cardboard, tin/aluminium cans etc.) we find that we only need to put out a refuse sack every three to four weeks (€2.50 a go). We previously paid c. €140 p.a. fixed for refuse collection but now, on the pay as you go system, are likely so spend less than €50 p.a. (gross - i.e. before tax relief).

ClubMan said:
I don't know what I did to merit being accused of being "simplistic and condescending" either but you might want to review while you're here.

Apologies ClubMan, it was one of your fellow Administrators, Brendan, who made the comment "what I really cannot understand is that you have been harping on about how horrible Ireland is to live in compared to every other country in the World and yet you are still here. "

Fair enough - thanks for the clarification. Just to be clear did not slag people off or tell them that they should walk/cycle either as mentioned here.

It's a catch-all answer by people such as yourself throughout this discussion. Such as your comments of "if you don't like what's going on in Ireland, leave!!!".
Did I say that? Where?

As it happens you did offer me exactly that advice on another thread a while back but for the life of me I can't find it. But for what it's worth the Seach Engine is a lot better than on the old site.

Incidently I don't hold the suggestion to leave against you. I know deep down you'll be sorry to see me go. ;)

-Rd

If I recall correctly I simply asked you about how your plans to move abroad (which you had mentioned a couple of times from a good while back here on AAM) were going and if you were on your way soon particularly since the setup here seemed to be getting to you so much. I certainly don't think that I suggested that if you didn't like it here that you should leave. However I am open to correction on this as I can't remember for sure.

Update: seems that I did (facetiously) suggest that you should go here when you asked for reasons why you should stay but I think that there was another post of mine in which I dealt slightly more seriously with this issue.

Update 2: I also alluded to this issue (again slightly facetiously) here. I'm still sure that there's another one somewhere.

I certainly don't think that I suggested that if you didn't like it here that you should leave. However I am open to correction on this as I can't remember for sure.

I think the general message was I should feel free to go and not hang around on your account. :) Of course you know that our sparring matches are one of the things I'll miss most. ;)

-Rd

daltonr said:
Of course you know that our sparring matches are one of the things I'll miss most. ;)
Why - are you moving to somewhere like North Korea where you won't be able to use the net or something?

Why - are you moving to somewhere like North Korea where you won't be able to use the net or something?

No, but if/when I do leave I'll be a lot less concerned with whether or not Ireland pulls up it's socks. I'll have no reason to contribute to AAM. Also I don't think I'd really have much right to comment if I wasn't living here.

Who knows you might cross my path on some of the other parts of the internet I frequent. If you're a budding magician, or collect stamps there could be years of argument still to come.

-Rd

daltonr said:
Who knows you might cross my path on some of the other parts of the internet I frequent. If you're a budding magician, or collect stamps there could be years of argument still to come.
Naw... I reckon you're safe so. Unless you start frequenting the Bohs message board. When are you off?

ClubMan said:
Was this mentioned elsewhere or something? If you are reverse engineering the salary from the "gross tax" percentage above then bear in mind that, as far as I know, Lemurz is married.

Yes I was reverse engineering so it is just an educated guess, if he is married he could earn more than this.

Don't worry, It'll be a while before I go. It's a bloody complicated business this moving lark. If I'd done it 10 years ago it would have been very simple.

I reckon realistically it will be sometime in 2006 at the earliest. It might never happen. There are other people to consider. A 1 or 2 year trial move is probably realistic as a first step. And even if I liked Ireland I think I'd like to try 1 or 2 years in Singapore to really understand it.

Oz, the US or Canada are the other options. Then there's the question of who'll have me. If I get stuck I suppose I have an EU Passport.

After that who knows? Mary Harney might suggest that you all eat cake and the revolution sparked by Eddie Hobbs may have transformed the country.

-Rd

Back