Advice- Trying to sell a property in Bulgaria

Jason C

Hi All

I bought a property in Pomporovo in Bulgaria last year. I am now trying to sell it but unfortunately don't know where to start. I've heard that local agents charge 15-20% fees for disposing of a property.
Has anybody had any experience of selling a property in Bulgaria?

Jason C

Who did you buy it from? Surely they can help. There are still enough suckers lining up to buy this garbage, and you should offload it quickly to one of them while you have a chance. Don't worry about the commiussions -- it will be worth it to get out of your situation. In any case, because they get 10 to 15% commission on new stuff, they are hardly likely to sell yours for less.

Bite the bullet, give them their commission, and get out with as much as you can, while you can. When the bulk of buyers in this market realise that the whole "guaranteed rental" thing is a scam, they will flood the market. Get out now!

The other thing is, how close to completion is your property?

If it's built, you will have a job selling it as anyone interested is buying off plan rather than ready to let.

Unless you can sell it in Sweden or Norway - now those guys will only buy something they can actually see! (best of luck with that one!)

The other thing is that most companies will only sell units thats the clients bought from them in the first place.

The lovely people I bought mine from charge 10% commission and recommend that you don't sell for 5 years anyway to avoid the 15% capital gains tax in Bulgaria. What they don't tell you is that you will have to pay in Ireland anyway, no matter what the time frame is.

So the market will be compleeeeeetly flooded in 2-3 years, when rentals have expired and those wishing to avail of hte nil tax in Bulgaria (because everybody has declared their property to the Irish revenue of course...)

I actually like the place and I'm going out in a few weeks, but I have to agree with auto320 on this one.

Sell now, if you can and best of luck.

And if you want to buy out there again, I will sell you my dads one in Sunny Beach! Cant say fairer than that!

Thanks.

The property is complete since October last year. I decided not to invest in a rental package as the rental return was not gauranteed. I thought it better to sell it on.
I bought through Bulgarian Dreams. They were very interested in me as a buyer but have no interest in re-sale property. The difficulty I am having is identifying a selling agent in Bulgaria. If you know of one or where to find one I would appreciate it

I agree with you both, I am eagar to get out of this one!

Jason

Just checked out that site, and it's pretty good.

Aside from the info on selling on etc, the rental section is great as now I know the actual prices for apartments etc.

It took me 3 days to sort out flights etc to Bourgas - €1800 for 4 of us from Knock and 1k for our accomodation. Not the cheapest of holidays. I sourced it myself because, believe it or not I couldnt get anything for July from budget, panorama etc - totally booked for July and August! Some consolation at least.

And here was me thinking that I could sell on the apartment and use the profits to buy in my beloved Spain - sigh:rolleyes:

I'm not joking either - that was the line given to me.

"the profit from the sale on the apt in Sunny Beach will be enough to for the deposit on your apt in Costa del Sol".

grrrr....:mad:

"News just in - the moon isn't made of green cheese".

How can you tell when an agent is telling you what you want to hear (as opposed to the truth) ?. You can see his lips move.

Bulgaria is close to being an anagram of 'Bugger all', because that's just how much profit there is to be made in all these off-plan deals in coastal resorts & ski resorts.

well, i'm out there in July for 2 weeks, so see what happens.

I would laugh at the 'bugger all' line if it weren't so bloody true.

When I contacted the guys who we bought off (grrrr.....) they calculated 23% appreciation on our purchase price, then told us they would charge 10% commission to sell it!

So if we make 13% (wow wee) thats great. Sod it, if we sell and get out money back, thats great too.

but I have a feelin in me water that it won't be enough for Spain.

I was out in Marbella 2 weeks ago, and I'm still crying like a baby cos I had to come home. I guess I'm a wannabee Spaniard who got suckerd in about great profits in bluggy.

Yes auto320, I LOVE SPAIN!!!!!!!

evenstar,

hopefully, you will get something back, so don't despair on Spain; that is also a buyer's market and there are many a distressed seller who hoped to sell on before completion and now face walking away, losing deposits and stage payments in the process. Sounds cruel but be vicious; make 'silly' offers. You have nothing to lose - they could lose even more. I've read that there are an estimated 1 million unsold new builds on the costas, and even in Madrid newly built suburbs are described as 'ghost towns'. Everything is relative; chances are you've lost a lot less than some who 'invested' off-plan in Spain.

well, you know I sell abroad - and the developer I promote on CDS is very much high end properties and they are giving massive discounts at the min. Hitting much harder than expected considering the company that had 60% wiped off there shares is based in Madrid.

All thats happening is that people who bought several units thinking they could flip them and pay for their own, are getting caught.

The crash hasn't affected Almeria at all, sales still up - I don't have any developements for sale there, but friends of mine are property finders there and business is still strong.

You simply buy in Spain because you love Spain - no other reason.

When you think about it, in a dev called Duqesa on the Golden Mile, you are paying 250k for a 2 bed 2 bath in a completely over built 'thing' stuck into a hill - it's bloody awful. Hundreds of apartments stuck on top of each other and building will go on for yonks.

I have loads of friend on costa del sol, but having said that, I would prefer to buy in Almeria - better value for money and much lower density.

I was talking to friends of mine who are regular visitors to sunny beach in peak season - they claim the centre is worse than Ibiza. Which I consider to be bad as they are complete nite club adicts.

Its unfortunate, but Spain is the place to buy, even if you have to be a bit heartless and take advantage of other peoples misery.

Its unfortunate, but Spain is the place to buy, even if you have to be a bit heartless and take advantage of other peoples misery.

Preceding their misery was their greed - for those who bought for their place in the sun the value is of no consequence as they are enjoying it.

There is an Irish company called buy in bulgaria www.buyinbulgaria.com
I think they do resales also so try them. If you get out breaking even in Bulgaria you will do well.

There are alot who do be on here spouting about BULLLgaria, maybe one of them will put their money where their keyboard is..

It's also a matter of taste Barryo.

I remember this couple who wanted to buy a project out in the sticks because they have being going to Bulgaria for nearly 10 years. They did buy eventually, but it was purely for a love of the country. People like that can't lose beause they are happy.

It's us gombeens who thought we were going to make a few bob that are kinda screwed.

The only thing thats keeping me going is that we still have a beautiful apartment 20m from the beach. Sunny Beach is jammed in June, July and August and into September and the temp is still nice.

The other thing is that no more planning permission is being issued for beach front property. Can't rem the exact distance they now have to be from the beach, but there has to be a road between the building and the beach.

I have been wrecking my head about this and done huge amounts of research and the other thing I have found is that the Irish and UK only make up a small percentage of investors (stop laughing auto!) and holiday makers with the majority being Scandanavians, Russians etc.

I have also found one or two dodgey goings on too.

As the majority of building is done during the off peak season, where does the influx of labourers live? A lot of apartments are being rented out to gangs of them, and the agencies are pocketing the rent as us twits think our apartment is empty.

A big fat lie still being used about Bansko is the winter olympics application - THEY DID NOT GET IT-IT WAS ANNOUNCED LAST YEAR.

Just thought I should let you know...

Just checked out that site, and it's pretty good.

Aside from the info on selling on etc, the rental section is great as now I know the actual prices for apartments etc.

It took me 3 days to sort out flights etc to Bourgas - €1800 for 4 of us from Knock and 1k for our accomodation. Not the cheapest of holidays. I sourced it myself because, believe it or not I couldnt get anything for July from budget, panorama etc - totally booked for July and August! Some consolation at least.

And here was me thinking that I could sell on the apartment and use the profits to buy in my beloved Spain - sigh:rolleyes:

Don't know if you want to hear this but others might.

These offers are available on gohop and include at least a minimum of B&B. If you can get the flight for this price and B&B it doesn't say much for the potential to rent out appartments for a realistic rent once the guaranteed rental period is finished

[broken link removed]

BULGARIA Dublin Mon, Jun 18, 2007 1 week €199
BULGARIA Knock Mon, Jun 18, 2007 1 week €399
BULGARIA Cork Mon, Jun 18, 2007 1 week €199
BULGARIA Shannon Mon, Jun 18, 2007 1 week €229

Murt

Does anybody have any thing to say about Bulgaria as i was offered an apartment in Borvets is this area overdelveloped also, can i ask somebody who is reading this to let me know if i did buy it would i be able to sell it again or is Pamporva a better area would some please inform me before i make the biggest mistake of my life.

many thank

Gerry

can i ask somebody who is reading this to let me know if i did buy it would i be able to sell it again ...............would some please inform me before i make the biggest mistake of my life.

Gerry

Will you be able to sell it again? No, unless at a substantial discount on what you paid. If you keep it a year or so until the inevitable crash, you are looking at at losing around half your money.

Biggest mistake of your life? Hard to say, have you followed the crowd before into similar sirtuations? Did you buy loads of Eircom shares maybe, or did you fall for "women empowering women"? Do you send money to Nigerian scammers? It will certainly be up there with some of your worst mistakes for sure.

Can I again spell out the whole Bulgarian thing for anyone thinking of putting their hard-earned cash into this nonsense?

Firstly, all the coastal and ski property is being offered at a multiple of the local market value. I have seen such extremes as apartments valued locally at 40k being sold to Irish buyers at three times that amount.

Secondly, the prices include some of the highest commissions in the industry, up to 15% in some cases. In other words, even if the property was worth the asking price, you have an immediate setback of 15% if you were to sell it on on the same day you bought it.

Thirdly, most of this stuff is pushed on people with the promise of a guaranteed rental, usually of 5% for 2 years. No such rental market exists. If it did, given the 10 week season, the returns would have to be in excess of 25% per annum pro rata. Not in the real world! The "guaranteed rental" is created by adding the cost on to the price; this was done in the past in some other places, including Hungary in a limited way, but has been brought to an art form in Bulgaria -- because it works! Greed will sucker in the amateur buyer every time, regardless of the advice that I or others give; there are people reading this who will still be suckered by a fast talking salesman in Bulgaria, but if it helps one person...

The "guaranteed rent" will usually be paid ok; you will be given back your 5% p.a for 2 years, your own money back but minues a handling fee, and you will be liable for income tax on it -- some "investment"! At the end of the 2 year period you will suddenly be wondering why the rent has dried up. This won't be too bad if you didn't also swallow the line peddled by many salesmen, that "the rent will pay the mortgage". A surprising number of Irish buyers have fallen for this line, and from PMs to me I am shocked at how many otherwise sane people have taken this advice from salesmen chasing these huge commissions, and have bought multiple units on borrowed money.

The big problem in Bulgaria is what happens when the big glut of "guaranteed rental" dries up. The bulk of projects sold in the recent past have yet to be completed or are only now being completed, so the effect of this implosion will not be felt for a couple of years. Anyone who is stuck in this mess now should get out with as much as they can. Throwing good money after bad, i.e. completing on a property where only a small deposit of 5 or 10k has been paid, is probably not a good idea.

As you know Auto, I sell in Bulgaria now, but direct from a developer rather that the big gits I used to work for.

I get 3% commission.

Yes, they also offer a guaranteed rental package.

I asked them (having learnt the hard way) what happens when that is finished. They are going to renew it. They have contracts signed with TUI and a few others and they can only start to reap the benefits now as the tour operators could not promote it until it was finished.

I was offered 7% commission from another Dublin based company but the quality of their build was terrible. I could do better myself out of lego.

When I compare what I'm selling now in comparison to what I used to sell, it makes me want to cry as I was brainwashed into thinking what we had the the dogs b****x when it came to quality.

I have a client who is actually going to build in Pomporovo. He has 5 apartments in Sunny Beach, one of them a penthouse that he bought 2 years ago. He told me today that he would only make 40k if he was lucky if he sold THE LOT now. He maintains that it will take about 10-15 years beforfe he makes his money as maybe the building will have stopped. Especially when nobody can build beach front properties any more.

so what can be done? A lot of us who have got caught will have no option but to complete on hte purchase. we may as well ride the storm and try to get as much enjoyment out of our little apartments as we can.

Nothing else left, is there?

As you know Auto, I sell in Bulgaria now, but direct from a developer rather that the big gits I used to work for.

I get 3% commission.

Eurostar- Do you do re-sale?

Jason c

Its evenstar, ya nana!

Haven't really got into it yet, but the developers will all sell on their original units for their clients who bought from them in the first place.

I have had a few enquiries for resales in Bulgaria (now theres a surprise) and in Spain.

I have no problem in taking some on tho as the investment company I'm with in Spain want some. But I will be picky - I have worked hard to find developers I trust and think they actually have good product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back