What currency to bring to Bulgaria?

Lauren

Going to Bulgaria for a week at the end of May. Bank advised my friend that she would be wise to bring USD or STG Travellers cheques but not to bring Euros? Anyone got any advice on this from travelling there?

Bring Euro and change it into Lev over there. Whatever you do don't change money in any of the stalls/shops on the side of the streets. You'll get ripped off even though they say no commission. When I was over there I changed my euro in the hotel I stayed in.

are there many ATM's available over there? Don't want to always have to do exchanging

car03 said:
are there many ATM's available over there? Don't want to always have to do exchanging

Are banks in Bulgaria covered by Cirrus or Maestro.
How do you find out ?

Bit of a risk to go without knowing beforehand.
Or else you're getting a credit card cash advance and that's a different thread.

According to this (American) website,
...the ATM network in Bulgaria has grown considerably, making it relatively easy to obtain cash from the numerous ATMs in Sofia, as well as in all other major cities and resorts. The national credit/debit card operator BORICA, to which all ATMs in the country are hooked up, accepts VISA/Plus, Visa Electron, MasterCard/Cirrus, Maestro, American Express, Diners Club, and a number of other cards.

Back