zero tolerance?

G

Guest127

couple of years ago a farmer in mayo shot and killed an intruder. charged and goes to jail. public outcry. tonight on the 9 oclock news person charged with murder in Dundalk walks free as book of evidence wasn't presented within 42 days. turns out he absonded on bail from a manslaughter charge in limerick 14 years ago. how can this happen? do gardai not have a national database of who is charged and if there is still warrants outstanding? the reason I mention the mayo case is as far as I can recall the deceased person was also wanted on a number of warrants but again it appears the local gardai were unaware of this?

I presume that this is the case to which you are referring? Note that the accused has since been rearrested and charged.

In relation to the other case as far as I recall - and I am open to correction - the victim had previous convictions and was awaiting sentencing in relation to a assaulting a Garda but did not have outstanding warrants for his arrest.

Update: My mistake - he was awaiting trial and not sentencing at the time of his killing according to [broken link removed].
Ward had ... 12 convictions on various charges, mainly to do with burglary. He was awaiting trial, at the time of his death, arising from the threatened use of a slash hook against a Garda. He previously had engaged in bare knuckle boxing and had inflicted serious injuries on opponents

thanks CM , read that in the local newspaper: but my other point remains ,why wasnt he picked up on the warrant issued for the manslaughter charge in limerick 12 years ago? asaik this charge now has to be dropped as its 'too old'.

I know there's no statute of limitations on murder....I'd presume manslaughter would be the same. An outstanding warrant for 12 years? Pity he didn't run a red light....they'd have caught up with him quickly enough!

one of the local papers today has an article on the rearrest and mentions in passing that the limerick case is up for mention this week. whatever that means.

Back