yikes just disovered a leak!

lemrac

Am having a new kitchen put in next week. The old one has been taken out and the water pipe has started to leak. Tried to tighten the connection but it's as tight as it will go/is stuck. Could I use 'No More Sealant' as a holding measure? an if so would it be ok until Tuesday when the plumber is due back? Oh also importantly even turning off the nearby stopcock doesn't seem to stop the dripping so i need to fix it while it's leaking .i.e to a wet surface!

Would appreciate any help thanks

Lemrac

Last edited:
Could you squeeze it flat with a vice grips after the stop cock as a temporary method? You have probably over tightened the nut, and damaged the olive.

Hi.

Fom what you have said, the nearby stopcock could be after the leak.

I would strongly advise not doing anything further with leak until you locate the outside mains shut-off valve and be satisfied that you can turn it off with the appropriate tool.

I think it's important to remember that sometimes the stopcock will not always turn off the water fully. In many houses the plumber will skimp and the "stopcock" might only be a gate valve- and these are not the same thing at all. If the leak is small I wouldn't go interfering with pipework at all. Get some emergency repair putty, used for emergency plumbing repairs. These will work on wet pipework AFAIK. Mop up as best you can and watch for any more problems. You may make more work and expense for yourself if you go messing around with the rest of the installation.

Thank you all so much. Managed to get the leak down to a small drip. Carpenter could I ask if I use emergency putty will it cause problems for the plumber [He won't be over until next Tuesday]?

L

Shouldn't cause problems, but he may not be able to re-use the fitting, don't know if this causes difficulty. But it's preferable to mechanical intervention. Sounds like the leaking joint will have to be remade anyway, if the olive is over tightened this may be the only solution.

Back