'yellow pack' definition and is opposing it, hypocritical?

M

Max Hopper

Plenty of references to the term 'yellowpack' but where does the term originate?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Moreover, why is the replacement of Irish hands by Latvian ones at Irish Ferries wrong? We accept and embrace the lower labour costs and better service levels provided by non-EU nationals in unpalatable jobs.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Roll-on labour market competition! Free the Celtic cub!

Xanthophobia

Hi Max,

where does the term originate?

The term can be traced back to the early eighties when Maurice Pratt Marketing Manager at Quinsworth (now Tescos) were one of the first supermatkets to introduce generic unbranded goods which were cheap and not promoted by advertisisng or fancy packaging. The packs were yellow. SuperQuin had a similar concept but their packs were white.

ajapale

Not to be confused with www.yellowdogdemocrat.com/

'yellowpack' did originate with Quinnsworth as above, and came to be used to refer to all sorts of generic (non-Quinnsworth) things over time.

I think the first general usage of it that some people found offensive was in relation to a plan by AIB (I think) to let go of a significant number of expensive branch people and then shortly afterwards hire an equal number of non-expensive 'yellowpack' people with significantly less (if any) banking experience.

Some people found the use of the 'yellowpack' term in relation to people instead of goods or services to be offensive.

z

Re: 'yellow pack' definition and is opposing it, hypocritica

I am aware of the Yellow Pack (aka generic) line of Quinnsworth products. I purchased them. But that does not explain the derogatory definition. By and large I found the performance of Yellow Pack products to be adequate.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->And in all fairness the quality of labour in Ireland often lags behind that of our leaner 'n meaner new EU brethren. Seen many Irish brickies lately?

Re: YellowPack

In all fairness the term is offensive. How would you feel if you were one of the new recruits in the banks pleased as punch with your new job, only find yourself referred to in the press and elsewhere as a "yellowpack" a term synonymous with cheap and somewhat inferior goods... not nice!!

Natchessmen,

I agree....my first real job out of college was as a "yellowpack" with Bank of Ireland......I never had a problem with the term in the press and media as I could ignore these things, but what really got up my nose was when customers used the term to my face....."oh are you new ??? ahhh you're a yellow pack.....I'll go talk to someone else".

You would be surprised at how rude and ignorant people can be to your face ! - ah the joys of dealing with the public.

efm

Max Hopper...can we look forward to seeing YOUR job being yellow packed?
I certainly hope so...you seem big enough to accept it, and a dose of reality might do you good.

If not...then you're hardly equipped to gloat at the plight of those less fortunate.

Yellow pack products were usually the same as branded products. For example, yellow pack crisps were made by taytoe, yellow pack jams, jellys, peas and beans were made by Chivers. The list goes on.

(hmmm.. just thinking, could Morrissey use the sentences above as lyrics for his next song?)

is a more recent form of 'Yellowpack Job'.

Hi Blue Bla

In the past I was involved in the manufacture of several generic goods and whereas I can confirm that some of the "own brands" were identical to the standard branded lines it is not always the case.

Witness the emergence of the split brands from Tesco, on one hand you have the white line products and on the other end of the scale you have “Tesco finest”. Clearly there is a difference, so to say that all Tesco branded product is of the same quality as the brand holder's that manufacture them is not true.

In the case of Yellow pack, the brand represented the competition for the bargain basement products. For instance YP digestive biscuits competed with pennywise digestives rather than Hob Nobs. YP larger was not up against Carling but instead against some inexpensive knockoff product, often arriving on our shore due to an over production issue abroad.

If you said that the quality was equivalent with the market leader in that segment of the market I would agree.

Nat

Hi N,

I said 'usually' .. maybe I should have said 'but not all'. Anyway quality is another issue ... I know that YP cheeses tended to be of better quality in terms of taste and nutrients than some of the main brands.and of course these YP cheeses were cheaper.

Regards,

BB

Back