Yacht varnish on a front door

Nova100

Just got a new mahogany front door and the guy who installed it said to use at least 4 coats of yacht varnish. Will I do any damage by applying ronseal 5 year woodstain in a teak colour over the yacht varnish ? I don't want the door to be a completely different colour to my windows which have teak woodstain on them. Have checked through all the previous threads but am still not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any advice as I am a novice in these matters. Rgds Nova.

True, you can't stain once it has been varnished. If the door hasn't been treated in any way yet, then you can stain, and then varnish once that's dry.

Thanks Highflier and Leo, seems really obvious when I read your replies .. as you can see I've a lot to learn about DIY ! Hope the forecast is good for the next few days ...

You'll get a terrific-looking, long-lasting finish with varnish if you rub down the first 3 coats very very gently when they are dry, with a fine-grade 'wet-and-dry' emery paper (use it wet to keep the dust under control). Wash down afterwards with a damp cloth. Your hardware store will advise on which grade to use (so long since I did it that I can't remember!).

Thanks a lot Pat127, that's very helpful. If it wasn't so dark I'd be out there now getting started on this door ! Will follow all your tips and hope not to make a complete mess of it. Nova.

Back