WRONG DSP PAYMENT-ACCUSED OF FRAUD

Caity

I recently completed a PLC Course. In August of last year, I completed an application for BTEA, and sent it into the local office, I heard nothing back.

The next time I went into sign on, I asked the women at the front desk and was told to carry on until I heard something. Since completing the course in May of this year, I was offered a place at third level. I applied for BTEA allowance for the new course. I received a letter yesterday from the DSP stating that I have been claiming Unemployment assistance illegally and they are looking to reclaim over 7,000 euro from me. I am shocked at this, I thought the payment had switched over. It seems that I was getting my money from the wrong government pot, but there is no mention of the other payment which I was entitled too. I am now fearful that I wont get the BTEA for the third level course and I am thinking that every obstacle will be put in front of me to stop me. Can you give me advice on where I stand?

I don't know the answer but a good place to enquire would be your local Citizens Information Office, they would have a good knowledge of the payments system and can help you draft an appeal.

Why not make an appointment with the DSP (or send a well worded letter) ? They don't bite anymore and this is most likely a crossing of wires. If you really feel strongly go in and take your ticket and wait to get an appointment as quick as possible. In the meantime don't worry about what you owe as they can't enforce this out of the blue. Good luck with the course.

Back