wrong diagnosis

Samantha

To make a long story short, had problem with car, brought it to main dealer close to home, diagnosis problem with turbo and more or less everything connected to it and wanted to charged us around EUR 3600. Not happy with it, paid for diagnosis (EUR 90) and brought it to another main dealer which diagnose problem with a sensor, cost of repair EUR 495.

Where can we complain about the first garage?

also the importer for that brand who is responsible for the distribution of all vehicles to its network of dealerships nationwide?

Where can we complain about the first garage?
Do you know for sure that the problem is just with the sensor and not with the turbo (as the first garage suggested)?

I'm not suggesting that the second garage is wrong, but just because they diagnose a cheaper problem to fix... doesn't mean they are right.

it is a well know problem with this car, very well documented on the internet and second garage confirm it, they kept the car for over 3 weeks in order to double check the turbo just to be on the safe side and they confirm it was only a sensor.

Thanks for your reply

samantha,

if it's a beamer like i had it should have been covered under BMW warranty... garage should be reported to BMw & SIMI... well known prob if it's the same type of car...

It was a problem with a Renault! Needle in a haystack comes to mind, more control units for everything little thing in the car that Intel have Pentium processors.

Could have been an intermittent problem hard to find etc. If it was so easy find and common problem it would not have taken 3 weeks of test driving after to be sure!

If we had a problem with a car down on power, we might try and clean an EGR valve etc and drive it before ordering it if we could save a customer money. Same thing here I'd say,Technician could have said "try a boost presure sensor" before we order a turbo and was lucky it sorted it.

Sometimes what happens is the Fix for a car can be down to volume of work a garage has. We have had what we deem common problems with cars under warranty bearing in mind we do about 2,000 claims a year, some dealers around the country are only doing 150 claims a year. Thing is we might see a problem a 100 times another dealer might see a problem twice and the last time he had a car the Turbo sorted it. So he orders another Turbo for your car. You were lucky! We sell alot more Turbo's than sensors.

have to agree with mr2 fault finding on new cars is not that straight foward alot of people think you just put the computer in and it tells all not!!

alot of dealers will give you a worst case price ,to brace you for the worst and if it just turns out to be just a boost sensor or the likes well and good.im my experience when you start with well just try a sensor and so on ,and suddenly in the end youve ended up replaceing the turbo you half suspected it was it gets very awkard gettin the money from the customer

Back