Wrong account number on letter from aib regarding mortgage arrears

Bonnie

Hi. I am currently in arrears of about 40k with aib, The balance on my account is just under 260k including these arrears. I have not been able to make full repayments for the last 6-7 years or so but had entered into various payment plans from getting a moratorium to interest only to basically paying what I could afford. The monthly payment at the minute is 976,( I had been paying 450 for the last 6 months), there have been various factors as to how I got into debt, too many to write down in this post! At the minute, my spouse is working and we think we will be able to make the full monthly payments. I received a letter last week from the arrears dept asking us to fill out a new statement of means etc however, I noticed that the arrears balance on the top of the letter said 13k, (for a minute I was happy as I thought my arrears had magically reduced... ) so naturally I checked the account number and discovered it was wrong! So basically, they sent me a letter requesting me to fill out a statement of means for an account that is not mine! I understand and expected to fill out paperwork etc but feel a bit disturbed that they have got the wrong information, it just screams incompetence to me. I only hope that some other poor soul hasn't had a heart attack from receiving my account number on their mortgage letter if their balance is only 13k! I haven't contacted the bank yet in regards to their blunder, I'm just wondering does anyone have any thoughts or has anyone else encountered this problem? Thank you in advance :)

It really is not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

Amend the account number and the balance, complete it and return it to the bank with a polite note confirming the error . You could suggest that they might check if the statement of means with your account number and outstanding balance has gone to someone else.

I work on the assumption that people can make mistakes - it just happens- and I try not to get too excited about it. Plenty of other more important things to worry about.

mf

Back