Would you rent in Rathcoole/Saggart/Citywest in 2010?

canucks

Hi,
I'm looking to rent a big(ish) house with garden etc for an ever increasing family.

Any thoughts on Rathcoole/Citywest/Saggart areas as nice kid-friendly places to live? Are there (m)any schools & creches? Are they any good?

How awful would the commute by car from the general area to Crumlin before half 8 in the mornings?

Any parts of the above areas you would think twice about renting, for whatever reason?

All tips/suggestions welcomed!

I am familiar with all 3 areas, Rathcoole would be the best - big village, a few good pubs, plenty of schools, mature area - after that Saggart, but there are a lot of new developments. Good schools and nice people (in general). Citywest is boring and there is no village, there is a new shopping centre though which is handy for shopping. I wouldn't live in Citywest, as it is beside Jobstown, but if you get a good deal it would be OK.

Traffic should be OK, but public transport is a disaster, so bear that in mind. Make sure to drive a hard bargain on rent, been a huge price drop in house prices in those areas. I certainly wouldn't pay more than 1k pm for a 3 bed semi, given the location

Thanks for that. Could it take a half hour to drive from Rathcoole to Crumlin in the mornings? saw amazing houses (mansions!) on daft for 1800-2k/month. Map says on/near the citywest golf course, address is Saggart. Had thought about Rathfarnham, but twice the size for same price in Rathcoole/Saggart!

I have never driven from Rathcoole so can't say really. I think 30-40mins would be achieveable, but you'd really have to try it. My friend lives in Saggart and drives to Stephen's Green in less than an hour, starting at 8am (edit, AM not PM... )

I think the houses you are referring to are in citywest/saggart ...probably Coldwater Lakes, I would reckon. The houses are very nice. Area would be very quiet, not sure if there is much going on there.....I would find them a bit isolated to be honest. know the area quite well and I would echo what okeydoke has already said, if I had to pick somewhere out of the 3 to live, would go for Rathcoole, then Saggart and thirdly Citywest.

Rathfarnham would be quite a good option as you are commuting to Crumlin and a lot more going on there by way of facilities.

I would agree with Okeydoke's comments on the areas mentioned. You prob will get a mansion in Citywest/Saggart like you mentioned but I feel that Rathfarnham would be a nicer place to live and better location in Dublin.

hi all,

I had a chance to be in Saggart for few days, but it was few months ago.
Currently I'm wondering how Saggart area looks like in terms or living?
I'll be working at Citywest business park. Therefore i'm looking for a flat to rent somewhere close, but already I've read a lot about not very nice areas like Tallaght. I'd rather spent more on rent to feel comfortable.
Guys, can I count on your feedback regarding Saggart?

Thanks in advance :)

Reply from somebody who lives in the area

Hi,

I have lived very happily in an aprtment in the Citywest area for the past 7 years. I moved to Rathcoole recently to rent a house due to increasing family size!
Just to clarfiy some points and my tuppence worth which I hope will be of benefit.
Citywest is not boring. It is a thriving new commuter suburb now well served by the Luas, and with Citywest Shopping Centre (Dunnes Stores) at its heart. You are also only a ten minute walk from Saggart village and Citywest Hotel and 10 minute walk from the Citywest Business Park. Dublin Bus also serve the area well with 50, 65B and 69.
Professionals mostly live in the area and it is very quiet.
If you are looking for somwhere nice to live that is on the Luas line and has a good shopping centre then Citywest would tick all boxes.

Saggart Village is a stone throw from Citywest and is a nice little village. There are a few small shops and a convenience sized Dunnes Stores.
While Citywest and Saggart are good for renting apartments, Rathcoole would be better for renting a house as there are good sized ones there.
The downside of Rathcoole is that public transport is poor and it is only served by the 69 bus which is infrequent and takes the long way to town.
On the plus side is a nice village and has a lot more than Saggart, so if you are not depending on public transport then Rathcoole worth considering. Note Luas would be a 30 monute walk from Rathcoole and a 5-10 minute walk from Saggart. Luas on your doorstep in Citywest.

Hope this helps. All three areas are nice and that's from somebody who has spend 7 years in the neighbourhood.

Best regards,
Sophie

Back