would wooden floors be a risk in a kitchen??

S

starman

we our building a house with an openplan back to the house, i would like to run wooden floors throughout as i do not like the floor/tile divide idea in an openplan area. is it a risk to run wooden flooring in a kitchen, which would contain sink and dishwasher, washing machine would be in utility room.

also is there any hygiene worries should crumbs fall into gaps in floor, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

starman said:
is it a risk to run wooden flooring in a kitchen, which would contain sink and dishwasher, washing machine would be in utility room.
What sort of risk?
also is there any hygiene worries should crumbs fall into gaps in floor,
There should be no gaps with properly installed tongue and groove floorboards!

Hi Starman
Things to consider. Type of wood; the harder it is the less impervious to damage. It is more expensive though. Having said this a good wooden floor is an investment.A kitchen is a high traffic area so this would be a major thought. No matter what type of wood you use the finish is very important. We use Sadolin acid base varnish. It is extremely durable and takes heavy traffic with ease. However being an acid base the premises must be vacated during application and a good chemical mask must be worn. Some people think that a good varnish over a soft wood, eg. red deal will do the trick. Not so as a good quality varnish needs a hard substrate to be able to do its job efficiently. One can thin down the first coat of varnish so that it permeates the wood structure deeper as a normal application would. Followed by normal applications.
As regards damage modern day appliances are reliable and should not pose a risk if properly installed and maintained. A correctly installed and plumbed sink should not give any problems either. I agree that wooden floors can suffer huge damage. But in the most part due to leaks that have been unobserved for long periods of time.Bad plumbing, incorrectly installed splashbacks etc.
I presume you will use a reputable installer. One that would leave the wood in the premises to acclimatise its moisture content, unless of course it is kiln dried. This will ensure its stability once finally installed. There should be no fear of the gaps you mention.
Having a continuous floor in an open plan increases the sense of space, this is after all the whole point of open plan. Let's face it wood is beautiful, warm, and lends a good ambiance. Being realistic its a fact that as opposed to tile more care must be taked with wood floors. But it is worth it in my view.

ive had wooden floor in kitchen for ten years, no problems just put down wood again as i extended. things tend not to break when fall on wood unlike tiles, warmer also and much better for your back and knees. only downside can be scratches i have 2 kids and a dog and a gravelled drive all contributory factors, still looks great and you only notice them when you look for them

Hi Tia,
what kind of wooden floor do you have in your kitchen? We're just trying to decide what to use in our kitchen. Thanks

I have wood in my kitchen also, and think its great. Warmer than tiles and as mentioned above, things don't break as easily!

For ideas, check here :
[broken link removed]

Ever seen the Calgon ad - where yer one goes into the kitchen and the washing machine has flooded?!
Not pretty - enough to turn me off anyway!:confused:

I have wood in my kitchen also, and think its great. Warmer than tiles and as mentioned above, things don't break as easily!

Me too - Canadian red oak - down 6 years; has worn very well. Even survived the odd leak from dishwasher.

Back