Would banning personal internet at work increase productivity?

In an office its easy to browse on internet while appearing to be working hard. Your colleagues / boss wouldn't know what you were doing.

Its not as easy to get away with making personal calls, chatting to colleagues etc.

But it is just as easy to goof off at the desk while appearing to be deep in thought about some problem.

In the days before internet access the guy who sat behind me used to abuse smoking breaks. Off for a smoke once an hour for 10 minutes each time. Was eventually pulled up on it. Then he began to abuse personal phone calls. Again, eventually pulled up on it. Then we got email. Cue loads of time wasting on personal emails. Lock down on personal emails and next he began to just sleep at his desk when he thought no one would notice. He was eventually pulled up on the sleeping. Then he moved onto bringing in huge amounts of personal paperwork and going off to the photocopier for ages at a time to photocopy it. He looked busy. He was just standing there goofing off while photocopying his personal stuff. Some people are just born dossers.

In an office its easy to browse on internet while appearing to be working hard. Your colleagues / boss wouldn't know what you were doing.

Its not as easy to get away with making personal calls, chatting to colleagues etc.

Alt+Tab is the malingerer's friend...

I agree that if someone wants to doss there is plenty of other things to do.

My point is that you would get noticed if you were smoking / sleeping / making phonecalls etc You might get away with the internet though.

They would if they had any kind of internet monitoring software. The boss doesn't need to be beside you to see what you are up to!

Back