Worried about paying a deposit for a private holiday home

S

stranger

I've booked a villa in spain (directly with the owner who is English) for a fortnight in the summer and am begining to have concerns. I paid a deposit into his bank a/c in spain and am a bit worried about having to pay the full amount 6 weeks before the arrival date. I searched for his company name in the UK and found out that the company was disolved last year. All the correspondance I had up to this was through e mail. I had a mobile number but any time I rang it I got his voicemail. I rang the landline number advertised and could not get him directly but to some woman who would pass on the message. He rang me last week to explain that the company is registered in Spain and not the UK.
How can I find out if this is true?
I don't want to ring him again and confront him without looking stupid, while at the same time I don't want to be taken for a mug and end up in Spain with no where to stay and this guy has scarpered with my money!
On the other hand, he may be totally genuine but this is the first time I've booked holidays directly over the net and am a bit naive to how it works.
Am I worrying un-necessarily?

We have a French holiday rental and raise almost all our clients through the internet.We also ask for a booking deposit of 30% and the remaining payment 4 weeks prior to arrival and also have a refundable damage deposit. This is generally the way for most rentals. Have you signed a rental contract, and has the other party signed also? If not then maybe you should be concerned. Did you find the rental through a holiday rental site?If so maybe contact them. Could you ask owner for email address or contact details of past clients?

I've booked a villa in exact same way from owners-direct - 10% up front with balance 6 weeks prior to arrival.I didn't get any receipt for my deposit other than e-mail co-orspondence but I'm happy it's all above board.
Had the same worries when I started to book hol's direct over the internet ~ 3-4 years ago but I think it just the nature of the transaction that its natural to have some concerns.

I have a holiday home in Spain and take a 20% deposit and the rest paid in cash on arrival or into my spainish accont prior to arrival which ever the the client prefers
Alot depends on what website you book through .
I have been advertising since 2004 so it is obvious to the client I have been around a while. I personally would be very slow paying the lot in one go if I was not able to check the place out properly . On the website I advertise with spain-holiday.com if they find anyone messing they take there advertisment down immediatly.

Thanks for your feedback. It certainly has eased my mind a bit!

If you are paying by credit card you have nothing to worry about , Visa card will refund your money if the deal falls through, but you will find that they do not give credit card machines to just anybody, banks know their customers and they must have a proven track record before the issue credit card machines.

It's no guarantee but if he has the property up on a few centralised booking sites you can be fairly sure it's above board.

Where did you find the rental? Why not go on to the Tripadvisor forum for the area that you are going to and post a question about the property? www.holiday-rentals.co.uk I see are allowing reviews to be written about their rental properties which is a great step forward.

Back