Working Overtime on JSB

guideanna

Hi All,

I had my hours reduced temporarly and so am currently claiming JSB as i now work a 3 day week, we are having an unusually busy period in work at the moment and my boss has asked me to stay and do overtime the days i am here this week and possibly next week.

My question is...am i allowed to do this and still get my JSB?

My weekly form asks me to fill in the days i work but not the hours so if i'm being paid overtime for extra hours is this ok?

Not going to do the over time if i'm going to loose the JSB as i'd have to arrange childcare and wouldn't be worth my while if i was loosing my JSB.

I'm not 100% sure on this but from the citizen's information site below it would seem to only count days and not hours so you should be ok to work the over-time.

Work and Jobseeker's Benefit

To get Jobseeker's Benefit you must be unemployed or have lost at least one day's employment and as a result be unemployed for at least 4 days out of 7 days. You may continue to get Jobseeker's Benefit if you can only find part-time or casual work.
Where a Jobseeker's Benefit recipient is working for part of a week, their entitlement will be based on a 5-day payment week. This means that for each day that a person is employed, 1/5th of the normal rate of Jobseeker's Benefit is deducted. If they get part-time work for 2 days, they will get 3/5ths of the normal Jobseeker's Benefit for that week and if they get part-time work for 3 days they will get 2/5ths of the normal rate of Jobseeker’s Benefit for the week. This change was implemented on 26 July 2012. You must still be unemployed for at least 4 days out of 7 to claim Jobseeker's Benefit. You can read FAQS about these changes.
There is an exemption from some of the rules for retained firefighters.
More information is available about work and Jobseeker’s Benefit.

As JSB is paid on the number of days worked/unemployed I can't see any reason why you would be restricted to a certain number of hours for each working day.

If you look at it the opposite way round, and suppose your employer only required you to work 2 hours per day, that is still counted a working day by SW.

If there is no ruling to cover your specific situation then it has to be treated as a day regardless of the number of hours worked

Back