working just 15.5 hours a week, what entitlements?

lorr01

Hi,

My mam was on job seekers allowance as she was out of work, but she is after getting a little job and its 15.5 hours per week but its monday to friday, My father is also unemployed and is getting jsa, they have a 16 year old school going child!

What can my mam do now as she is not earning alot in the job to justify it. She cant sign on for any other days as she is working from monday to friday, But she likes it as it gets her out of the house,

Any advice i would appreciate please as to what help my parents could get,

Your mum won't be entitled to anything as she works every day (so can't sign for Jobseekers) and is working too few hours to claim FIS.

Has your dad's jobseeker's been changed? If he wasn't being paid anything for your mum (because she was claiming herself), he might be entitled to some payment for her - he should ask at his local SW office.

gipimann,

No my dad jobseeker's hasnt been changed he just gets for himself and the 16 year old!, I will get him to go to SW office and enquire about it.

Would you have any idea how much he would get extra in his payment for mam?, as at the minute my mam is out working for alot less than what she would get sitting at home! but she likes to be active but there's not much incentive to go out to work and help low pay families! they have worked all there lives, my dad 35 year in 1 job till it closed down and then a long time in another til recession came, and my mam working since she 17 years old, until them jobs finished up also, Its terrible!

Thank you

It will depend on your mum's wages - he'll be means-tested on them, although not all of what she earns is counted as means.

The maximum amount paid for a Qualified Adult is 130 euro pw - it is likely to be less than this.

Mam will be getting €139 approx before tax!! alot less than if she didnt work at all, so would dad qualify to get the full amount for mam then do you think?

thanks for your advice for me

Here is the calculation used by SW to assess income:

Assessable weekly earnings - €20 per day (maximum €60 for 3 days work) = total x 60% = weekly means from work.

The weekly means are then subtracted from the full rate for the family (your dad, your mum and your sister).

The SW office will work it out, but as a very rough guide -

Assessable earnings = 139
Subtract €60 = 79
Take 60% of 79 = 47 euro (rounded to nearest euro). This is the weekly means assessed.

Family rate for 2 adults + 1 child = 196 + 130.10 + 29.80 = 355.90
Family rate - means = 355.90 - 47 = 308.90

The above calculation assumes there are no other means, and that all of the €139 wages are assessable (if your mum is paying PRSI, then that's deducted before calculating the means). It is only a rough guide, but may give you an idea.

Back