Working in D15 - where to buy?

A

Annie82

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I've been reading several posts about the D15 area but would just like to put this one out for any opinions also.

My boyfriend and I currently live in Trim with my parents and both work in Ballycoolin in Blancharsdstown.

We are looking to buy a 2 bed with a budget of around 305 -310k. (although this number is based on quotes from 2 major banks only so it may increase a little depending on what broker says)

Does anyone have any ideas where to buy?
The most affordable area seems to be Ongar, and possibly Waterville, but now I hear there are quite a few social problems in those areas.

Anyone any opionons?

Stationcourt in D15 (Coolmine, off the Clonsilla Road) is a really nice development, well looked after and doesn't seem to have many issues. There are 1,2,3 bed apartments and duplexes there and you should find something close to your budget. It's not as close as Waterville to Ballycoolin but would be a better bet. There are some rented apartments there but a lot of owner occupiers as well. It's also very close to Coolmine train station, walsking distance to Blanchardstown shopping centre and has a new creche on site.

Hi Marg,
thanks for that.
I found a property in station court earlier and thought it looked a bit poky/cramped.
Have you ever been in an apartment there?

i live in that area and work in ballycoolin, start work @ 8.30 am and generally leave the house @ 8.15 in winter, in summer i can usually get to work in less than 10 minutes, 15 minutes max to get home. it's an ok enough area but a lot of properties rented out now but sure don't you get that everywhere

you should check out latchford or castegrange beside it. I lived in latchford, lovely quiet estate. I lived in a 2 bed apartment and it was very modern and quite spacious.

I live in waterville Terrace, been there for over 5 years and also have friends that live in Waterville.

Not sure where you heard about any social problems - the only thing that I have seen on occasion is cars excessively speeding off when leaving the entrance so they get to hear the wheels spin..... What fun :rolleyes:

I find it a very safe environment, perfect location and will shortly have the massive parklands opened up with the large lake providing convenient walks.

Myself and my immediate neighbours are all owners and any renters around us seem to be mostly Nurses as its right on top of the hospital. There are probably around 10 kids who play around the grassy area most afternoons, which for me confirms the area's neighbourly focus...

Hope that helps.

Hi Annie - I agree with marg, Station Court's a nice development. Ive been in a 2 bed duplex there and its really spacious. Apparently the apts are a good size too. good luck with your search

Ratoath......20-25 mins drive to ballycoolin even in heavy traffic

Hi Annie,

I must agree with paddyodoors.
I am living in Waterville for the past year.(Bantry Square). Never hear any trouble..ever! Delighted with the place. The bus routes can be a disaster. Other than that we are near the Shopping centre, hospital, Blanchardstown village, and also some shops will be opening in Waterville before the end of the year I believe. Hope this helps.

Damien

I live in Waterville (Garnish Sq). All owner occupiers where I am and love it. Better than vast wastelands of Ongar!

Hi Annie,
The two bed duplexes feel very spacious and are almost 1000sq ft. Having an upstairs and downstairs makes it feel more like a house than an apartment. I've been in a couple of other two bed and three bed apartments there as well and they seemed spacious enough. There are a lot of different designs in Stationcourt, maybe you saw one of the smaller types. I've been in a couple of the Windmill apartments next door and they did seem smaller.
I saw another poster mention Ratoath. It might be worth looking at as well. I live in Ratoath now and I love it. The village is really coming on now with new shops opening. There's still a nice community feel about it and Ballycoolin is an easy commute. It depends on whether you want access to Dublin city centre for going out at night as Ratoath wouldn't be ideal for that. Other than that I'd recommend it.

Tyrrelstown is a 3 minute drive from Ballycoolin and is a great place to live. I was there for 5 years. Only moved 'cause I'm building a house. There's loads of shops, pub, restaraunts etc and a 4 star hotel beside it. The estate has under age footy teams and a couple of senior teams (used to play for them) and there's a great sense of community if your're looking for it (Halloween parties for the estate, summer festivals etc). Houses are reasonably priced compared to some estates in Dublin. Anyway, I'd highly recommend it.

I've been living in Waterville (Bantry Square) for the past year & find it great. 2 bed duplexes are very spacious & grounds are well looked after. Would definitely recommend it. Only short walk (7 mins or so) to the village & shopping centre close by also.

I live in Blanchardstown Village & there is a new development just at the back of the Hospital. Waterville But its a new development Erris Square. Check out www.mcpeakes.ie
1 Bedroom Apartments from €295,950
1 Bedroom plus Study from €305,950
2 Bedroom Apartments from €335,950
2 Bedroom Duplex units - Price on application
3 Bedroom Duplex units - Price on application
Hope this helps. But if not then Waterville is a beautiful place & also Verdemont in the Blanchardstown Centre , Also Ongar Village is a lovely place. I lived there a few years back & loved it.
Good luck with the house hunting.

No vested interest I trust Newlifebegin?

I would not be paying over the odds for builders new house prices when there are a few apartments 2 + 3 beds for sale from the existing development for less.

Out of curiosity what are the management charges in Waterville? For a young couple starting out this is a serious consideration. Perhaps a house might be a better option?

974 euro for a two bed duplex for each of the last three years (hasn't increased). payable in instalments. Not bad when you think insurance, bins, window cleaning, garden maintenance included. The services are actually quite good (management company useless)

what i love about my ground floor duplex is the illusion of a house (own door, garden etc) but without having to do any of the maintenance!

I bought a two bedroom house in Allendale accross the road from Ongar Park. Nice size rooms own parking and a garden Allendale is a lovely and quite conventional style estate with large green areas and 20 mins walk from Clonsilla train station. Ongar park itself is a quite dence development but seems quite I have often walked up to the shops in Ongar village through the estate.

Back